Toothbar on or off??

/ Toothbar on or off?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have been doing a lot of grading of my property lately. My technique is to make several passes with my boxscraper to create piles of dirt that I scoop up with my FEL. This creates pretty loose soil and some rocks but it seems like my bucket doesn't get even 1/3 full when I make a pass with the FEL. I was wondering it just a flat edge on the bucket would be more efficient that the edge created with the toothbar. Should I take it off for this type of operation??

/ Toothbar on or off?? #2  
My loader works much better in some applications with the toothbar removed. Of course, when scooping material on a paved surface is one, but it really surprised me how much better it worked when scooping ballast-sized rocks a dumptruck delivered. The +/- 4" rocks would accumulate between the teeth and kinda plow the intended load out of the way. After removing the bar, the bucket could easily be filled to the brim.......................chim

/ Toothbar on or off?? #3  
if i am understanding ur question right , u are having a problem getting a full bucket when trying to scoop up small piles of soil? this is not abnormal. when there is not a lot of substance the loader will want to push instead of fill. don't beleive the tooth bar has anything to do with it. try going into a large pile and lift and curl at the same time, the bucket will fill with or without the tootbar. but maybey i mis understood the question? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Toothbar on or off?? #4  
I have individual teeth on my front bucket, as contrasted to a bar. I find it easier to take the teeth off and 'scoop", verses dig. If I'm "digging", then I tend to put/leave the teeth on.

Richard