Buying Advice Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #1  

HarleyMonster

Tractor
Kubota L47 & L3200
I am in the market for a new TLB, I currently have a 1996 L35 that has worked its heart out for me and is beginning to need more and more attention. I do all my own work and I love working on the tractor as well as my other equipment, but sometimes tractor work needs to be done without interruption.

I have been in contact with my Kubota dealer and began my inquiry with the new L47TLB. My dealer feels that is an overkill for the type of farm I have and suggested an L4701 HST or an MX5800 with a backhoe attachment for a considerable savings. So, I asked for a price quote on a new L4701, a new MX5800 and a new L47.

My L35 has front hydraulics and I often run a grapple, I have a top and tilt with a 3 spool valve, so I asked for an itemized quote on each tractor to include these options.

I was contacted today and was told the L4701 and the MX5800 do not allow for the installation of the top and tilt and a backhoe because it has interference problems with the backhoe sub-frame. I was told if I want the top and tilt my only option was the L47. Really???

Do any of you have experience with this configuration and, if so, please share your experience and solution with me. I can't imagine Kubota designing new tractors that can not run two of their very common and expensive factory options.

If it is what it is, I will probably go with the L47, which is frankly an overkill for my need and a lot more money, but after the L35 I don't think I would be happy with a lighter tractor with a two seat type backhoe attachment. I like the swivel seat, the new walkthrough aisle and especially the creep mode the L47 offers. I was considering the MX5800 because of it weight.

The other option is to continue looking for a low time, well cared for, L45, which is very rarely on the used market in my area.

Any ideas?

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #2  
While this may not be relevant to the models that you are considering, my L3240 with sub-frame mounted BH92 & TnT has the potential for interference between the lift arms and the lower, aft-most part of the sub-frame. I discovered this by accident, shortly after the sub-frame was installed and I used the tractor to brush hog our field. The affected part was the sheet metal release lever for the telescoping end link, which I removed from the lift arm, & straightened with a torch and ball-peen hammer, and reinstalled.

After examining the hitch and sub-frame geometry, I realized that I must have had the telescoping sway links set with both pins in the slots, rather than one in a slot & one in a pin. This allowed enough lateral movement of the arms that they interfered with the sub-frame when the cutter was raised, either to cut down some secondary growth or when climbing an abrupt rise in the field. I determined that as long as I was careful how I pinned the sway links, the interference wouldn't be an issue, again. I was pretty upset when I discovered the problem, but quickly realized that it wasn't a problem as long as I was aware of the potential interference and adjusted the hitch accordingly.

So my interference problem was due to having the hitch adjusted too far to the left or right of center, while raising the implement. Not sure if you dealer is talking about the same potential problem and trying to avoid it (and your dissatisfaction), completely, by eliminating the tractor from your field of choices, or if the interference issue he is talking about is different and maybe harder to work around.
Maybe ask him for a little more detail about his concern?
-jim

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #3  
Yes the L47 cost more, but it has a lot more features than either of the other models. I have the BH92 on the MX5100, its OK for small jobs, but if you have a lot of backhoe work to do the L47 (or L45) would be well worth it. For example with the 2 seat setup you can't even reach the throttle, and having to switch seats just to move the machine a few feet is a real pain. Also the low sloping hood is great for FEL visiblity especially if you use pallet forks. The one issue for us is that none of the dedicated TLB have turbo, so we'd face significant power loss at our elevation (9000 ft).

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #4  
Removing the top and tilt to install the backhoe would take all of 5-10 minutes. Never seen the top and tilt used with a backhoe. Also I hope you are not looking at a three point backhoe for either of the tractors. Are you specifying a frame mount backhoe.? Frame mount backhoes do not use the three point hitch arms.

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #5  
Kubota uses side connections on the cylinders. Fit Rite uses cylinders that connect on the outside and will work with the hoe's subframe.

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #6  
Removing the top and tilt to install the backhoe would take all of 5-10 minutes. Never seen the top and tilt used with a backhoe. Also I hope you are not looking at a three point backhoe for either of the tractors. Are you specifying a frame mount backhoe.? Frame mount backhoes do not use the three point hitch arms.

Yes, it's a quick job, and I remove the TnT cylinders & the lift arms whenever I put the backhoe on.
The issue isn't that the backhoe hits the Tnt - the interference happens when the backhoe is removed and an implement is hitched up.
The hitch lift arm ends can hit the sub-frame if the anti-sway links are adjusted too far left or right of center.
You really can't remove the sub-frame in any useful amount of time, so you have to be aware of the limitation when you pin the implement.
-Jim

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800
After having the L35 for years and being used to the weight and strength of the the tractor, I purchased a new L47.

Kubota offers a 3PH with Top and Tilt as a factory option on the L47. I am sure you can make small modifications to get the Top and Tilt to work on the other tractors, but Kubota doesn't offer it as a factory option on either L4701 or the MX5800 because of the sub-frame interference.

I am going to love the L47's creep function, though it has been good exercise swiveling the seat on my L35 to move every 6' or so.

Thanks to all who answered my question for me.

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #8  
After having the L35 for years and being used to the weight and strength of the the tractor, I purchased a new L47.

Kubota offers a 3PH with Top and Tilt as a factory option on the L47. I am sure you can make small modifications to get the Top and Tilt to work on the other tractors, but Kubota doesn't offer it as a factory option on either L4701 or the MX5800 because of the sub-frame interference.

I am going to love the L47's creep function, though it has been good exercise swiveling the seat on my L35 to move every 6' or so.

Thanks to all who answered my question for me.

Photos when you get the new machine?

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800 #9  
Can't wait to see what you think of it. I looked at on the other day and it looks like a great machine. I have b26 and thinking of up grading.

/ Top and Tilt interferes with backhoe subframe on new L4701 and MX5800
I received a call from my Kubota dealer today who told me all the current L47 production is going to dealers who pre-ordered and my tractor would not go into production until September unless my dealer could find a dealer with an L47 on order who would give away their slot. My dealer found a "larger dealer" who was willing to give up his slot, so my tractor will go into production this Friday, July 1st. My dealer is estimating a week in production then a day or two shipping time to their dealership then another week at the dealership for dealer installed options. Looks like a mid-July delivery.

Each TLB model change seems to get better and better, I think for me it is going to be "what's not to like about it?"

I didn't order the QA backhoe bucket system, I hope I don't regret that. Other than that I ordered pretty much everything; Front Loader w/Auxillary Valve; 72" 4N1 Bucket w/ bolt on cutting edge; Hydraulic Thumb; 3PH, Top and Tilt w/ 3 spool valve; Land Pride 72" Hydraulic Scraper, 3PH storage and drawbar w/ clevis.