Top Link Indicator

/ Top Link Indicator #11  
Here's why I like the level, every year there are a few anthills in the yard and a lot in the orchard. I just set it to zero(level) and it only cuts the anthill.

Like I said before it's crude, but it works perfect for me.

/ Top Link Indicator #13  
Hey everyone! This is my first post, and I hope someone can give me some thoughts and ideas. I have watched the Dave Knows How videos on setting up a box blade and especially the one about making up a hydraulic top link indicator to see at a glance if your box blade is level and in a neutral position. However, I’m not a welder. So I’m looking for ideas on how to cobble together a rod attached to the top link cylinder and riding thru a loop or eye bolt mounted on the top link rod. If you’ve done such a thing, pictures would be great!

OR…would it be simpler to just draw a line around the top link rod at the neutral position with a magic marker? Is that something can be done without damage to the top link? Any thoughts would be welcome.

I have a Kioti DK4210SE.

Thanks.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m thinking how to use a “choke cable” that when attached to the cylinder will actually show position of the cylinder regardless of the angles that I have everything at.

I’m also looked at the idea of using a “water tube level”.

I can say more if that’s not clear.

Last edited:
   / Top Link Indicator #15  
Spending more time on youtube and less seat time on your machine makes you a better operator

/ Top Link Indicator #16  
I think that anything to do with a bubble level would be next to useless. The only time it shows anything relevant is when the tractor is level. That doesn't happen much when I'm using my tractor.

The "choke cable" idea shows promise but you need something that matches the stroke of your hydraulic cylinder.

I built my own box blade. It's not pretty because I built it with what I had on hand at the time. It has an 8" rolling pipe on the back which acts as my depth gauge. A quick look to the rear to see what the blade is doing tells me how to adjust the hydraulic top link to control my depth of cut on the box blade. I can use the box blade at speed and not worry about it digging in.

/ Top Link Indicator #17  
Some top links sold out there (usually the bigger ones, Cat 2+) have a built in scale and indicator rod. Shouldn't be too hard to recreate the same thing.

1683202982025.png

1683203026822.png

/ Top Link Indicator #18  
[...] However, I’m not a welder. So I’m looking for ideas on how to cobble together [...]
I'm not either. And I didn't feel like trying to bum a job off of the people I know who are.
I found a machine shop near me that was happy to do a welding job for me, which they did pretty quickly for $60. It was a very good experience, and now I think "well, I could get it welded" whenever I'm coming up with ideas. I look forward to the next time.

WAY less expensive than becoming a welder with equipment (if you didn't want to do that anyhow). I respect people who do, and if I had more lifetimes I would definitely do so myself in at least one of them. But -- so many porcupines, so little time....