3-Point Hitch Top Link Mounting Holes

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #1  

All In A Days Work

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701, Land Pride RB3784 Rear Blade, Bearcat SC5540 Chipper Shredder
I need a little schooling here.

I don't understand the mechanics behind the three locations for the top link? For instance the manual says when using a Moldboard plow for soft soil use the top link and for Heavy use the bottom link. I just can't figure out what the difference would be.

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #2  
My understanding of it is geometry.... If you look at you link with an implement in the ground, you wouldn't want the top link at an upward angle going back to the tractor.

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #3  
If you tractor senses pressure on the top link for draft control, the different holes allow an adjustment for the type of implement.

Bruce

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #4  
Think you normally would use top hole for heavy ground contact use like a plow.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #5  
If you have a 3ph w/o draft control which is common for most of us with a small tractor this is how it works.

There are two conditions.
1) when the implement is raised: It is a weight partially supported by the top link. The weight on the top link trys to pick up the front end of the tractor. We all know this. If you use the lower hole the force is applied closer to the rear axle (lower) so there is less leverage to lift the front end than when using the upper hole. Soil clings to a plow or the plow sticks in the soil. Heavy soil clings more readily or the plow is harder to pull up. So when you pick up the plow in heavy soil the bottom hole is recommended to lessen the chance of tipping up.

2)When you are actually plowing the force on the top link is the opposite. The soil trys to hold back the bottom of the plow which rolls the top link forward. This force pushes the front of the tractor down. The upper hole has more leverage so holds the front end down better when plowing.

So there is a trade off. The bottom hole is safer for raising a very heavy plow and the top hole is safer if you hit a hard spot while plowing.

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #6  
I need a little schooling here.

I don't understand the mechanics behind the three locations for the top link? For instance the manual says when using a Moldboard plow for soft soil use the top link and for Heavy use the bottom link. I just can't figure out what the difference would be.

Me neither.

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #8  
This is a great answer. Very well explained!! I think a few of us will learn something usefull here! Thank you Gordoon Gould:)

If you have a 3ph w/o draft control which is common for most of us with a small tractor this is how it works.

There are two conditions.
1) when the implement is raised: It is a weight partially supported by the top link. The weight on the top link trys to pick up the front end of the tractor. We all know this. If you use the lower hole the force is applied closer to the rear axle (lower) so there is less leverage to lift the front end than when using the upper hole. Soil clings to a plow or the plow sticks in the soil. Heavy soil clings more readily or the plow is harder to pull up. So when you pick up the plow in heavy soil the bottom hole is recommended to lessen the chance of tipping up.

2)When you are actually plowing the force on the top link is the opposite. The soil trys to hold back the bottom of the plow which rolls the top link forward. This force pushes the front of the tractor down. The upper hole has more leverage so holds the front end down better when plowing.

So there is a trade off. The bottom hole is safer for raising a very heavy plow and the top hole is safer if you hit a hard spot while plowing.

/ Top Link Mounting Holes
Thank You Gordon Gould and Newbury, Gordon you explained it very well, I just couldn't get a handle on it. :thumbsup:

Newbury, I did do a search on the subject but after I posted and found some other info but I didn't read the post that you sent.

I apologize to you group for not doing a search first before I posted a question that has been answered before. :ashamed:

/ Top Link Mounting Holes #10  
Thank You Gordon Gould and Newbury, Gordon you explained it very well, I just couldn't get a handle on it. :thumbsup: Newbury, I did do a search on the subject but after I posted and found some other info but I didn't read the post that you sent. I apologize to you group for not doing a search first before I posted a question that has been answered before. :ashamed:

AIADW;

Another source of good information is the operators manual for your tractor. There should be a section for 3-point operation.