Top Link ?

/ Top Link ? #31  
But the thing is, it's liquid and the valve prevents the fluid from going anywhere so in the hose, pressure will be higher...
The pressure of the fluid will be the same in the cylinder and the hose, the area of the hose is smaller therfore has lower "area" load(for lack of a better word).

This is why smaller diameter tubing can handle higher pressures at the same wall thickness.

/ Top Link ? #32  
But the thing is, it's liquid and the valve prevents the fluid from going anywhere so in the hose, pressure will be higher...
No. Your understanding isn't quite right.

P=pressure
A= area of the piston
F=force

P x A = F

Now solve the equation for P

F/A = P

The greater the area....the less pressure with a given force applied.

If you apply 1000 pounds of force trying to compress your toplink, and your piston area is 10sq in....you have 100psi.

Same 1000 pounds but your piston only has 1 sq in, you have 1000psi

What part of that do you don't understand so maybe I can better help

/ Top Link ? #33  
Ok I get it. Having more surface area reduces the pressure of the fluid internally. Using my example, it would mean the piston would 'try to displace' less fluid with its higher surface. A smaller surface having the same force applied to it you 'try to displace more fluid', creating more pressure in the fluid.

/ Top Link ? #34  
Already measured my top link fully retracted and fully extended. The hydraulic top link is the same size retracted and gives me one more inch extended.
So what length did you end up getting? Definitely a bonus to go extra on the extend length if that is an option. A top hydraulic link is priceless for a box scraper and a great asset for mowing.

/ Top Link ? #37  
No. Your understanding isn't quite right.

P=pressure
A= area of the piston
F=force

P x A = F

Now solve the equation for P

F/A = P

The greater the area....the less pressure with a given force applied.

If you apply 1000 pounds of force trying to compress your toplink, and your piston area is 10sq in....you have 100psi.

Same 1000 pounds but your piston only has 1 sq in, you have 1000psi

What part of that do you don't understand so maybe I can better help
I see the error of my ways now. My third grade math failed me. :oops:

I'm going back to my dozer again today and put this to the test.

I'll not delete my posts as they're quoted and I don't want to feel bullied. It's part of the learning process for all and to see an argument closed with evidence.

/ Top Link ? #38  
I see the error of my ways now. My third grade math failed me. :oops:

I'm going back to my dozer again today and put this to the test.

I'll not delete my posts as they're quoted and I don't want to feel bullied. It's part of the learning process for all and to see an argument closed with evidence.
Fair enough. No intent to make you feel bullied. The most important thing is that you now understand (y)

Actually having and understanding of what is going on is far better than just repeating what others have told you without actually understanding the physics. Im glad you got a handle on it now.

/ Top Link ? #39  
After talking to Brian @ Fit Rite it was obvious I needed a Cat 2 top link. Cost more but has been absolutely fool proof for the time I've had it.

/ Top Link ? #40  
For those with hydraulic top links..... I see hooking up an implement could be a pain at times.... wrestling with a heavy cylinder, and if it’s not the ‘right length’ you can’t just screw it in/out, it’s a trip back around (into the cab to wiggle a lever) to adjust the length, hopefully just once! I guess it’s all good exercise! And what about hanging it when not in use? A new bracket of some sort must be in order?