Top loading vs side loading washers

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Top loading vs front loading washers

Great.. A washer dryer thread in a tractor forum :eek:

Our old and large washer died yesterday, right before it's time to wash about 65 horse blankets and sheets.

I did some research online but it's tough to wade through reviews not knowing who is capable of following directions in a user guide or who is a professional shill writing reviews so I'll ask here.

Everyone I know with side load washers loves them. I guess my audience can follow directions because done properly it appears you wont have trouble with the mold problems associated with side loaders.

I guess my question revolves around top vs side loaders the most. Water use is not that important until you consider heating said water. We wash a ton of blankets a minimum of once a year and saddle pads all year. I was thinking more water is a plus with top loaders but they don't use a center agitator any longer.

Anyone have comments with either HE unit WITHOUT a center agitator cleaning these items?

Obviously if you are happy with your top loader with agitator it has no bearing on this thread. We were happy with ours too.

Another concern with the new top loaders is cleaning waterproof items. That covers horse blankets and all of our winter jackets and windbreakers. Best HE Top-loaders | Top-loader Reviews

Last edited:
   / Top loading vs side loading washers
I should point out that we are looking at LG models (front load) WM8000 with 5.2 cubic foot $1,259 and (top load) WT5680HVA also at 5.2 Cubic foot
$1,074

Last edited:
   / Top loading vs side loading washers #3  
I cant help you with the horse blanket issue, but we have owned a couple of side loaders, Maytag Neptune was bought 1988 and replaced in 2010 after years of washing for a family of 9 and only problem we had with it was a computer board went out while in extended warranty and was replaced. We gave it to our daughter when we built our new house in 2010 because wife wanted all new stuff and it was still working fine. We replaced it with new Kenmore side loader washer and dryer. We have had good luck with Kenmore appliances. Sister in law bought new Maytag washer/dryer in 2009 and has had multiply break downs with it with just washing for 2. They sure don't seem to be as good as they once were.

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #4  
We have a Euro model Bosch compact front load. Great machine for our family, its been very durable and cleans amazing... But I dont Id recommend it for continuous washing of horse blankets and pads.

I think your heading into commercial washer territory.. Either that, or look for a 80's model Maytag. I would avoid any of the modern Korean models, like LG. They're fancy, but not built to the same standards as older washers, plus parts are a nightmare. I still use our old maytag from the 80's, that I grew up with, in my barn to wash coveralls etc. Works like a top.

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #6  
We have a front loader washer, Kenmore Affinity, good washer, but i wouldn't put many horse blankets thru it. Im sure it would clean them ok, but you'd be very busy cleaning the filter on the input of the extraction pump. We have dogs and wash the blanket/pads and i've pulled my washer apart a couple times cleaning the dog hair out of the filter it seem to have an Affinity to dog hair.:D Im tempted to modify it so it has a bigger filter load capacity and or easier to get to and clean out.

McCaskey's post seem like something to look into though. I've seen commercial washers show up from time to time, used.

/ Top loading vs side loading washers
but you'd be very busy cleaning the filter on the input of the extraction pump.

Now that's a problem for us..

McCaskey that is a solid lead, thanks!

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #8  
Our family has had all three. A classic top loading with agitator (both rotating and up-down agitator styles), a top loading with no agitator (rotating discs in side of tub actually turn the clothes), and a front loading similar to what you see in a laundromat. Our favorite is the front loader, hands down. The oldest top loader was OK but when it died we were looking for less water usage since we are on a well. The top load with rotating discs didn't last long and frankly we don't miss it. The discs designed to move the clothing around were virtually useless, especially on bulky loads like overalls, bed spreads, and washable rugs. Our front loader "seems" to get clothes cleaner and our well hasn't gone dry from overuse since we purchased it.

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #9  
I can't get the door open on my side-loading washer.:( :laughing:

/ Top loading vs side loading washers #10  
We bought a front loader around 2002 give or take a few years. We were in the city then and our water bill could go over $100 a month because of washing clothes. The front loader dropped the water bill to around $50. We had to buy a new clothes washer last year to replace the first one. To put the washers into service you have to remove four bolts. If you want to move the washer, you have to replace the bolts. When we moved to the country house I knew I needed to put the bolts back in but what I forgot is that *** I *** can't do the job, you have to get a repair guy to do the work. :mad: We were moving that day so we loaded up the washer and hopped for the best.

Well the washer eventually had some many problems that the repair guy had a long list that would cost far more to fix than buy a new machine. Some of the problems may have been from moving the systems without replacing the bolts but who knows. We ran that machine until it fell apart. It lasted at least two years before the door lock failed and we could no longer open the door. Figured at that point it was time for a new washer. :rolleyes::eek:

The old washer was a Whirlpool and we bought Whirlpool again. To be fair the machine is in constant use, I think we do at least a load a day if not two so the washer got used hard. We bought one that was large enough to wash king sized comforters and that is really nice. Plus, we can really load up the washer to wash a lot of clothes at one time. We are on a well now so we do not get a direct water bill but that water costs to pump and it is OUR water so we try to use it wisely. I think the washer uses 10 gallons or so worst case, the thing is smart enough to adjust the amount of water it needs, versus 30+ gallons in a top load we used to have.

Our old washer also had the mildew and smell problem but this has not happened on our current washer. The wifey bought a more expensive model because of the gasket design that she thought would minimize the smell/mildew issues.

Top and front load washers have their pluses and minuses but for us, we will not go back to a top loader.

Later,
Dan