Toplink Toplink pin

/ Toplink pin #1  

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 7045; Wheelhorses C121, C101, A8;Cushman Turf truckster
I'm having trouble fitting a toplink pin (3/4") to a Universal 445 (Long 445 or Allis Chalmers 5040 in US).
I've turned some pins to 3/4" on the lathe - they fit the toplink well, but I cant get them into the toplink housing on the tractor - there's no way to get a straight push on the pin to slide it through. See attached drawing - on the left side the draft sensing spring bulges out & blocks access & on the right there's part of the housing casting in the way. I could get a pin into the bottom hole by grinding a bit off this casting, but it wouldn't help access for the other three& I don't really want to weaken the web 'cos there'll be a backhoe hanging off it next & its $125 to replace!!
Can anybody tell me what tricks to employ or show me a picture of their standard toplink pin - this has got me stumped short of using a 5/8" or 11/16" pin which goes in easy but obviously slops about.

Attachments

• TOPLINK.jpg
    TOPLINK.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 282
   / Toplink pin #2  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Does the spring move or bend back out of the way under pressure? I assume the spring interferes at first and then the pin goes in?
Have you tried a short pin like in the drawing? How about a chamfer on the one end to clear the spring?

/ Toplink pin
OP
P

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
The spring is pretty hefty- it's about 3/8" X3" & senses the draft on the top link, so the only way to extend it is to dangle something heavy off the toplink, but I can't fit the toplink:(

The short pin in the drawing is the axle pin that the toplink housing pivots on; the toplink needs to fit between one pair of the four sets of holes shown, but there isn't 4" straight clearance on either side of the holes to push the pin in.
I 've tried chamfering the end, but I'm assuming you need the full 3/4" bearing on the housing each side. This housing is about 3/4" thick each side, so you can't tilt the pin out of line too much or it'll jam - which is where I'm stuck!

/ Toplink pin #4  

Farmerford

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kuborta B2400, L2900, L4330; Caterpillar D3B, John Deere 455D
Cut the pin the same length as the outside width of the bracket. Drill and tap a 1/4" or 6mm hole in the center of each end of the pin. After the pin is in, screw a short bolt and washer into each end to keep the pin from comin out.

/ Toplink pin #5  

greg_g

Tractor
JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket
The issue might well be with the toplink, and not with the bracket. Can I assume it's not an original equipment toplink? Because I've had that problem with some aftermarket toplinks - where they won't pin through the implement hole. In some cases I ground off an interfering section of the toplink, in other cases I've welded new tabs onto the implement bracket.

On the other hand, the parts breakdown might come in handy to determine whether or not you're missing a piece of that bracket. Perhaps something else pins in there first, to which you subsequently pin the toplink ?

//greg//

Attachments

• toplink pin.gif
    toplink pin.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 174
   / Toplink pin
OP
P

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmerford said:
Cut the pin the same length as the outside width of the bracket. Drill and tap a 1/4" or 6mm hole in the center of each end of the pin. After the pin is in, screw a short bolt and washer into each end to keep the pin from comin out.

Cheers Farmerford - sounds good to me & I may also grind a flat on the pin head end to allow it to enter. I reckon the shorter pin might be the answer here.

Greg-g - the problem exists without the toplink in place! I can't get a 4" pin into place in the housing. I think shorten & flatten the end is the best bet