Toplink placement with boxblade

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #1  

KiotiJohn

I think we've posted this before, but some newer owners may not be aware that when hooking up the boxblade, the toplink should be in the lowest hole at the tractor. The stress of boxblading with the toplink in the top or middle hole can cause breakage at the tractor. It's not common, but can happen.
I know many of you don't read the manual, and the older ones didn't mention it, but it states to use only the lowest hole for boxblades.
Just thought you should know.
John

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #2  
Thank you John.......being as lazy as I am I didn't read that. I have paid for my box blade but have to pick it up. What is going on with the link being in the top hole and the tractor breaking?

thanks again

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #3  
John, my tractor (LK3054) is an older model and the manual does not mention anything about the use of the toplink holes. Can I impose on you to provide recommended placements for backblade, brush hog, chipper & post hole digger attachments? I'd rather admit ignorance than damage anything - although that seems to be the way many of us learn (ha, ha). Thanks for your reply.

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #4  
My question is why? The holes are only slightly spaced and the box blade is usually being pulled which would compress the top link. When you push backwards with the blade it would seem that the attachment point on the BB has more bearing on the forces. I read somewhere, I thought the manual, that all grading implements should be on the lower 2 holes nad the mower on the top. I am a little confused why and just run everything in the middle.

Please enlighten me. I've seen top links pull the tractor apart on a backhoe application so I know what can happen but I can't see how a BB could do this.

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #5  
John my top link is at the highest hole, it was delivered that way with the box blade, when I install the snowblower it stayed in the same way, on page 6-4 of my manual it does show the top link in the highest hole, should I be concern /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...cag

/ Toplink placement with boxblade
Actually, the manual states use only the bottom holes for a rear blade, but many people were reporting top link damages when using a boxblade or rear blade in the top hole. I don't pretend to understand how that little bit of spacing could make much difference, but I mostly only use the bottom two holes.

I had this discussion so long ago, I don't remember all the particulars, but it was all about angles and stresses.

The other advantage to using the bottom hole is that you get a bit more lift which is handy when boxblading or rearblading.

Charlie, as long as you're getting the amount of lift you need, you can use the top hole. If you experiment by moving it down, you'll see that you get a little bit higher lift.

Damage is not really all that likely unless you really grab hold of something that brings you to a slamming halt with the top link in the uppermost hole. Even then, the damage would probably only be a bent top link (prolly while pushing back) and not the mount.
John
Edit: Most implements can be run in any of the holes as long as you're getting the lift you need. Mowers in the top hole are okay if it's getting high enough for you to cut and lift right. Post hole digger would probably clear better in the bottom hole, as you get a bit more lift.
Basically, not get anxious about damage, as I said, at the most you'd prolly only see a bent top link if you hit just right.
J

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #7  
Thank's John for the input I appreciate the times you took in pointing this out as I can't recall when this was mention in the past, I can recall hearing about damage and even breakage, do to BH, after hitting pretty hard with the BB this summer actually bringing the tractor to a dead stop and making me look like a crash test dummy I'm lucky I didn't damage the tractor...cag

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #8  
My DK35 has a sticker upper right of the link adjust on the tractor. If my memory is correct it suggests the middle but you may use the lower if BB. I would love to know what the differences are amongst the three positions. It looks like there would be minimal differences but I'm sure there's a good reason for the 3 positions.

/ Toplink placement with boxblade #9  
My DK45 has a sticker to the left of the top link. It states the top hole is for PTO implements, the middle hole is for pull implements and the bottom hole is to be used for push implements. I'm not certain, but it looks as if the bottom hole would defeat the draft control by limiting the sensor linkage movement.

/ Toplink placement with boxblade
It seems to me the conversation I had that brought this out was about using a boxblade to push back with. I think, in the example given me, the top link got bent because it was in the uppermost hole. Now, I don't quite understand how putting it in the bottom hole would have made much difference, but that's what was suggested. I do know that I get a little better lift when it's in the bottom hole, which helps when backing up over a tall pile one may wish to pull down.
John