Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #31  
Do you have other uses for the tractor?

A 35hp tractor will have a DPF emissions system. I imagine it will also lift more dirt in the bucket if that's a concern.

A 25hp tractor may be able to run a 5' rotary cutter where 35hp may be able to run 6' in the same conditions.

edit: how do you plan to cultivate your garden after the plants start growing?

I plow my garden with the tractor in the spring, but use a Troy Bilt walk behind tiller for cultivation myself. I have other uses for the tractor, but I couldn't justify owning a tractor if all I did with it was to plow the garden once in the spring.

A larger tractor is not always better. In my experience, working with the tractor in a tight place is more often the problem than lack of power. Small tractors are fine, just slower, and 25 HP is a lot of power.

Also, 25 hp is below the requiremet for DPF emissions tractors - which have to be run at high rpm most of the time so that the DPF will work. The 25 hp tractor can be worked at an idle if you want - and I often do.
We built most of our place with a 16 hp Yanmar - including foundation and septic. It took longer, but far easier than if we had to do it by hand. The time that a bigger tractor saves is offset by limited access, and tractor time is rarely most of the time in a project anyway.

BTW, I like turf tires, but wouldn't load them. They are a thinner, wider, and lower tire and give a nice ride and better stability. But they do get flats. Luckily, flats are easily fixed in 5 minutes with a automotive tubeless tire probe and sticky thread. If the tires are not loaded with fluid, a flat doesn't even mean having to take the wheel off the tractor. Just find the hole and insert the sticky thread. Done!
If the tire is loaded with fluid however, a flat is a larger project.

Instead of loading the tires, I made up a very minimal set of rear tire chains. Started with several sets of the smallest automotive tire chains I could find - used ones of course. Then a vise and pliers was all it took to make some custom chains. Even small ones as shown probably triple the traction. I often ran them year round.
All are just suggestions. Things that worked for us... YMMV.
rScotty
YM165D_dirt work.jpgYM165D_firewood & snow.jpg

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #32  
My YT235C does not have or use DEF it has a regen system and I don't
have to stop to regen.

willy

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #33  
None of the current models of Yanmar Tractors in North America have DEF.