Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235
Here you have to do a lot of math :)

think about distance between wheels and wheels width.

here a picture that I stole from an online store

You have to understand, how big rows you can do and how big gap will be between rows
If that fits to your concept - SA will be great machine

View attachment 832939
Thanks for bringing up that point. It looks like the tire width is just over 12 inches. The width of the tractor is 54.7 so that gap between the tires is roughly 34 inches. Great info to know ahead of time. Mapping out my plot means that I can have a total of up to 24 rows that are 80 ft long each. Each row would be about 30 inches wide with about 16 inches between rows. I don't know what I would do with such a large garden. I need to start studying and figuring out how much that I should really plant.

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #22  
I run a 5-ft tiller on my sa-425, same engine, with no issues.

I would look at Facebook marketplace for a used one. Yanmar doesn't hold their value quite as well as a Kubota or a John Deere and you can pick them up for bargains.
This is also a great time of year to buy a used tiller.

You should be able to get a nice SA 324 or 325 for under 14 Grand.

I would want the 325 because they have the rear remotes as I understand.

I think there's only about 100 lb difference in the lift capacity between 324 and the yt235.

Make sure they load the rear tires and you use ballast when you're doing your dirt work. This is important with Yanmar tractors because they are lightweight but they lift a lot for their weight.

Last edited:
   / Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #23  
600hrs
1700488627430.png

I found an older year model (2022) but new SA324 for just a little bit more than what you saying is used so I feel good about that price. I plan on keeping the tiller hooked up to the tractor when doing dirt work to weigh the rear tires down. I can limit the load that I pick up with the tractor if it feels like it is unstable. Thanks for the comments, I feel much better about buying the SA324. Nice tractor by the way.

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #25  
I plan on keeping the tiller hooked up to the tractor when doing dirt work to weigh the rear tires down. I can limit the load that I pick up with the tractor if it feels like it is unstable.
That's right approach.
Try to keep tractor light when mowing or working on rows
If you have tires loaded you always have that extra weight

I have made this weight (now it is modified). If you have 300 kg on 3p you will never have any issues with rear axle dancing. Weakest link then is FEL hydraulics capacity
A463BE44-75CE-4CEB-83B6-91B3BBB2B392_1_105_c.jpeg

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #26  
I found an older year model (2022) but new SA324 for just a little bit more than what you saying is used so I feel good about that price. I plan on keeping the tiller hooked up to the tractor when doing dirt work to weigh the rear tires down. I can limit the load that I pick up with the tractor if it feels like it is unstable. Thanks for the comments, I feel much better about buying the SA324. Nice tractor by the way.
All sounds good, now you just need to pull the trigger and post some pics and join the Yanmar faithful. You won't regret it.

Do you have other uses for the tractor?

A 35hp tractor will have a DPF emissions system. I imagine it will also lift more dirt in the bucket if that's a concern.

A 25hp tractor may be able to run a 5' rotary cutter where 35hp may be able to run 6' in the same conditions.

edit: how do you plan to cultivate your garden after the plants start growing?

I plow my garden with the tractor in the spring, but use a Troy Bilt walk behind tiller for cultivation myself. I have other uses for the tractor, but I couldn't justify owning a tractor if all I did with it was to plow the garden once in the spring.
I am going to purchase a garden bedder to build 30 inch wide rows for planting and will use sweeps to cultivate between the rows. I will be tilling the garden plot soon and will add about 6" of a combo some topsoil/compost mix prior to tilling. Once missed in well I will cover the garden plot (50' x 50') with woven landscape fabric to sit until planting time to hopefully kill off some weeds. If necessary I will do some burning of the plot with a propane flame thrower after covering for a couple of months.

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #28  
I am going to purchase a garden bedder to build 30 inch wide rows for planting and will use sweeps to cultivate between the rows. I will be tilling the garden plot soon and will add about 6" of a combo some topsoil/compost mix prior to tilling. Once missed in well I will cover the garden plot (50' x 50') with woven landscape fabric to sit until planting time to hopefully kill off some weeds. If necessary I will do some burning of the plot with a propane flame thrower after covering for a couple of months.
Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure that the compost is adequately broken down. You don't want to till something in that's going to rob nitrogen from your soil.

I've done this and learned the hard way.

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure that the compost is adequately broken down. You don't want to till something in that's going to rob nitrogen from your soil.

I've done this and learned the hard way.
Thanks. Good point. I am buying a mix of 50/50 topsoil/compost from a reputable company and hope that the soil is of good quality. The current plot is covered with Bermuda grass and the soil seems very rich but does have some hard clay. I think with tilling in the sod that is there and mixing in the 50/50 mix and tilling it all together and covering it with landscape fabric through the Winter will prep it nicely for a Spring planting season. I will be planting some garlic and onions immediately in part of the garden to see how it goes. It hardly ever freezes where I am and even if only the garlic makes it through the Winter I'll be happy with that.

/ Torn between buying an SA324 and a YT235 #30  
I'm sure it will be good stuff. It will really help that clay soil and you will benefit from that expense for years to come. I did the same thing a couple years in a row. Tilled in some compost into my garden area from a place called Price Farms Organics. That really changed the composition and I have had excellent corn in that spot for a couple years in a row. Will probably plant Potatoes and beans there next year and put corn in another spot.

Organic matter, as you probably know, really helps with moisture retention also. Which is why I like to put leaf mulch on my soil and till it in in the fall. Gives earworms and the elements time to break that down into black gold.