Torn between two trailers

/ Torn between two trailers #11  
I have sold my older 20' trailer and am getting ready to buy a new trailer. My truck is a 2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax. I have it narrowed down to two trailers.

1. A PJ Wide Tilt Trailer. It is 83 inches between fenders, 102 inches wide drive over deck. It is a 14000 GVWR trailer and weighs in at 4200 lbs. It is a very nice tilt trailer with a nice price on it as well.

2. A BigTex drive over trailer that has a 96 inches width. It is a 9990 lb. GVWR trailer. Not sure the exact weight of the trailer. It is also a very nice trailer and a smaller price tag.

Both trailers are wide and have a low profile. These two items are what I am looking for in my next trailer purchase and both meet it.

I am worried that the PJ Trailer with my heaviest tractor (around 6500 lbs with loader and bush hog) might be to much for the truck when adding in the weight of this trailer. The dealer thinks it will be fine. Does anyone on here tow their tractor with a 3/4 ton truck using a 14000 GVWR trailer?

I am worried that the BigTex trailer might not be enough trailer for my heaviest tractor. It has 5200 lbs. axles with D rated tires. Should this be a concern or not? Does anyone on here tow their tractor with this type of trailer?

My biggest concern is safety on the road when hauling my equipment. Before I spend my money I want to make sure I get it right. I want this purchase to last me a long time. I am sure I am missing some information and I am sure someone will let me know.:laughing: Thanks in advance for all the expert advice I am about to receive concerning my dilemma.:thumbsup:

I have a 20'x102" 14K equipment trailer that I tow with my 1997 K2500 4x4 Suburban.
I only tow about 600 miles a year, and for personal use only.
I use a 14K Equal-iz-er hitch, and have E rated tires. I added "Air Lift" adjustable suspension to the Suburban.
I am limited to a gross load of 12K, as that is the limit for the Curt Class IV hitch available for my K2500 Suburban.
I normally keep my trailer gross load under 10K.
The 454 V-8 in the Suburban does the job just fine.
Of course, the trailer (Quality Steel and Aluminum brand) has 4 wheel brakes, but stopping is the primary consideration.
It is necessary to avoid tailgating, and to set the trailer brake controller properly, so that trailer braking begins just a bit prior to Suburban braking.
Whatever you buy, you ABSOLUTELY DO want a 102" wide trailer, rather than 96".

Last edited: