Torque Multiplier

/ Torque Multiplier #1  

Robert Bolton

Tractor
John Deere 790
Does anyone have a reasonable source for a torque multiplier with a 750 ft. lb. rating?

Thanks, Robert

/ Torque Multiplier #2  
   / Torque Multiplier #3  
I just use a bigger impact wrench myself. If my 1/2" drive IR won't do it, my 3/4 will and if that won't do it, my 1" will.

/ Torque Multiplier #4  
Heck I simply use a length of pipe that I slip over my ratchet or on my tire X bar.
Twice the tool length= 2x the torque.

LOL, worst wheel had me propping the X bar on a cement block, length of pipe and me jumping on the extended X bar. Loud 'crack' and I landed on my azz.

/ Torque Multiplier #5  
I bought a used US made one similar to this from eBay vendor.

Torque Multiplier.jpg

/ Torque Multiplier #6  
Heck I simply use a length of pipe that I slip over my ratchet or on my tire X bar.
I have a 5' length of 1-1/2" pipe that fits comfortably on a 15" crescent wrench and a 50-lb. spring (fish) scale that gets me to 250 #'. 750 #' would be 125# at 6'. Torque value tolerance is + or - 10% so you do not have to be precise at 750 #' (that's tight, 1" grade 8 bolt, 1-1/4" grade 5).

Last edited:
   / Torque Multiplier #7  

LOL, worst wheel had me propping the X bar on a cement block, length of pipe and me jumping on the extended X bar. Loud 'crack' and I landed on my azz.
...and when the head fails and it becomes a missle and whacks you in the noggin, you'll wish you didn't use a cheater pipe.

/ Torque Multiplier #9  
Lots of them out there.... I picked up one a few years ago at a a flea market for an astronomical price of $10..... It's a 4:1 multiplier, it will take up to 250ft-lbs on input applying up to 1000ft-lbs on output.... Mine is very similar to one below.... 1/2 drive on input side 3/4 inch drive on out put side....

Google search will show all different types and pricing from about $50 to $2000 depending in your needs....

IF its for only a one time use, check with local tool rental place or auto parts that loans tools, no point in buying one if its not going to be used a lot...

Last edited:
   / Torque Multiplier #10  

Anybody who uses a extension pipe on a RATCHET is just dangerous ........ I have broken 3/4 breaker bars and they are more stout than most ratchets... Firm believer in torque multipliers after breaking two 3/4 breakers bars and then having to take project to truck tire shop and have them use 1 inch impact to get flywheel gland nut loose...This was pre torque multiplier days...

Last edited: