Touch up or paint?

/ Touch up or paint? #1  

draku007

Tractor
Kubota L3300
My 94' Kubota is missing some paint and I'm wondering if I can do a touch up / spray it or do I need to commit to full paint job. If the answer is "paint job" I don't think I can commit to such project anytime soon.
Here are few pictures of the tractor conditions (I'll be replacing both fenders and grill): IMG_1333.jpegIMG_1338.jpegIMG_1626.jpegIMG_1746.jpegIMG_1846.jpeg

/ Touch up or paint? #2  
I would just focus on a section at a time. For instance, do the front axle and front wheels as one project. Then the fenders, then the hood, etc. Worst first.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Touch up or paint? #3  
I would just focus on a section at a time. For instance, do the front axle and front wheels as one project. Then the fenders, then the hood, etc. Worst first.

From the OP pictures I would suggest doing just one section at a time also.

I bought a 2006 L48 back in June.
It has some paint areas that look like the OP bad areas, but like his machine, some good areas also.
I am in Florida now for the winter, and my Kubota is not here.

This season (Summer), I painted both fenders (removed and blasted first), the right hand fender mounted selector panel, the seat frame assembly, the console cover parts, all 4 wheels, and the loader bucket, plus some sub-frame touch-up.
Lots of prep work first,...... and I DO NOT use rattle cans!
Next Summer will be the entire hoe.
Later the loader frame, and maybe the cowl.
My projects are slow....I am an old guy.

I used paint sold by Amazon: TTB27-GL TTB..... @ $26.52 per gal.
It is a machinery enamel, that worked very well, and is an EXACT Kubota match (possibly made by Valspar?).
I did also add a little Valspar 4625 enamel hardener. .
The paint is also available in quarts as TTB-29-QT TTB for $17.05

Last edited:
   / Touch up or paint?
Thanks. I like the one section at a time approach.

/ Touch up or paint? #5  
I bought a can of rustoleum NH blue I use with a paint brush and a hot dog roller for long flat surfaces and the finish came out excellent no Boyd Coddington paint job but good enough for a daily driven tractor . Grab a 12 pack and get to it .:drink:

/ Touch up or paint? #6  
If you store the tractor inside then I would take the time to do a proper paint job one section at a time. If you store it outside then just rattle can it as the paint will be faded in a few years anyways.

/ Touch up or paint? #7  
When I had my Kubota - I went to Tractor Supply, bought a can of their Kubota Orange - and a can of Primer (Rustoleum?) - sanded - primed - tape and sprayed quick buff and blend - could not tell where I sprayed.....

/ Touch up or paint? #8  
When I had my Kubota - I went to Tractor Supply, bought a can of their Kubota Orange - and a can of Primer (Rustoleum?) - sanded - primed - tape and sprayed quick buff and blend - could not tell where I sprayed.....

More then good enough for a working tractor, if it's some trailer queen that's going to be washed and waxed weekly just to show off to the neighbors you may want to do more.

/ Touch up or paint? #9  
LOL, enjoyed the expression "tractor queen".
In aviation we used 'hanger queen'.

That being said if preventing serious rust any color of rattle can paint is better than nothing.
I for one rattle can my snow blower parts simply to prevent rust accumulation that grab and hold snow and clog my blower chute.
Like snow grabs onto rust but not on painted or polished steel.

/ Touch up or paint? #10  
They don’t offer 26 year old sun faded paint but it would still look a lot better with a rattle can paint job.