Touch up paint

/ Touch up paint #1  

Walter63

Bronze Member
I've done touch up work on my 1980's tractors with spray cans and with a small detail brush. I have yet to find a John Deere green that stays green and doesn't turn blue. The only paint available from the Deere dealer was for spray guns, and was too thin to brush on small spots.
Does anyone have experience with a brand that has more stable pigments ?
Thanks.

/ Touch up paint #2  
I've done touch up work on my 1980's tractors with spray cans and with a small detail brush. I have yet to find a John Deere green that stays green and doesn't turn blue. The only paint available from the Deere dealer was for spray guns, and was too thin to brush on small spots.
Does anyone have experience with a brand that has more stable pigments ?
Thanks.
John Deere paint is the only one that will not turn blue. There is no other brand that I've found that will not turn bluish over time.
They will list the can as JD green, but it may start out looking good, but in the end not true green.
Never yet found the JD green to do that. Maybe you have.

/ Touch up paint #3  
If the paint from the Deere dealer is for spray guns and you're only doing a small area consider an airbrush kit. They are relatively inexpensive, especially from Harbor Freight. Just remember to clean it when done so it's not clogged next time you want to use it.

/ Touch up paint #4  
OP, that's strange... My JD dealership, all the way down here in Tasmania, has JD Green in a 'rattle can' readily available. The same with the JD Primer.

Using both, JD primer then JD Green, has always resulted in a perfect match.

/ Touch up paint #5  
OP, that's strange... My JD dealership, all the way down here in Tasmania, has JD Green in a 'rattle can' readily available. The same with the JD Primer.

Using both, JD primer then JD Green, has always resulted in a perfect match.
Same here.
JD's own rattle cans work great IF you use JD's own primers first.
There are two different-coloured primers.
Use the 'Buff' colour primer under JD Yellow.
Use the other primer (I think it's grey but has been a while since I had any need) for under the JD's own Green.

I'll double-check that grey colour...

/ Touch up paint #6  
I too have had very good success with original JD rattle cans, and even brush painting from cans (though, yes, spraying would yield better yet results). Here, in Canada, "Tremclad" brand paint is available in John Deere green (though not the yellow). It's about one third the price of the genuine paint. I use it in less conspicuous areas, and have been happy with the results too.

/ Touch up paint #7  
I'm not a master painter, so take this FWIW. While we're talking about paint on JD tractors, this is a bit off-topic but somebody might find it useful: I've repainted a few of the 300 series JD tractors and initially thought that maybe these rattle-cans come from the same place. So I tried the cheap stuff. Krylon and Rustoleum both sell a green paint that looks like JD Green. I have used them both. The Krylon is absolute garbage. It goes on very very thin and will not hold a gloss. Rustoleum is much better, but still loses it's gloss once it is dried. The JD Green rattle can green is far superior. I have been able to get some nice glossy finishes with these cans. But be careful not to recoat too soon, or the prior coat will crinkle up, and you'll have to sand it all off. I know that by experience. So I give it one coat, then about 30 minutes later, another coat, and then 30 minutes more another coat. Each of those additional coats goes on while the previous coat is still very very soft.

So spend just a little more and stick with the JD rattle cans.

Also, I didn't see anybody mention that JD has two shades of green: One is called (I think) lawn and turf, and the other is just JD Green. I've always used the JD Lawn and Turf since I was working on either a 318 or a 332.