Toughest Lawn Tractor out there?

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Our association has a 1.5 year old Craftsman GT 5000 that is wearing out quickly. The tin foil deck is just not tough enough. Who makes a 54" lawn tractor that is the toughest? A old Scotts mower sits in the shop with a blown Kohler 27HP that has a deck much tougher then the Craftsman. The new motor cost far more then the mower which needs new parts like the engine cover, seat etc. Thanks...

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #2  
Used JD 455. Bulletproof. Also see 430, 332, and 318.

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #3  
Yep, can't go wrong with a JD garden tractor. What's happening to your deck? It shouldn't be having problems after only a couple seasons of mowing.

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there?
Ifixcars said:
Yep, can't go wrong with a JD garden tractor. What's happening to your deck? It shouldn't be having problems after only a couple seasons of mowing.

Low wage workers who don't care. I'm trying to change that. :cool:

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #5  
_RaT_ said:
Who makes a 54" lawn tractor that is the toughest?
Ventrac 3000. It is a commercial duty lawn tractor. Nothing from JD, Cub, etc even comes close. It is all steel construction, 4w/drive, 4w/steer.

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #6  
I would concur with Jeff AND Bob. For a conventional tractor, the JD 455 is one tough mower. Our local college traded one in on a new 595 last year with over 5000 hours on it. Theoretically, the 595 ( now 748 ) would be similar in durability. Bob's thought, the Ventrac, is a good choice. It is a very tough machine and very versatile also. I do not know the prices. Our hospital has two Steiner's (similar to Ventrac) that are pretty nice. They are also pretty expensive. My chief complaint about them is the dealer is three hours away and they are not comfortable to operate (I have used them). They are more capable than most standard GT's and mow well, but are priced like a small compact tractor but are LESS capable than them. So why not just get a compact tractor in that case??? The Ventrac's might be less pricey though and Bob likely would know this. I would say our hospital's newer Steiner is about the same ability level in mowing as the X748 JD (or 455) and is much more stable on hills. The toughest LG tractor I have EVER seen though is my dad's old 8193KT Gravely four wheeled tractor. It currently has 3774.3 hours on it with the original motor which has had no work and only three sets of blades, two friction clutches and one mower pulley belt for a total of about $150.00 in parts. These machines were amazing and totally, 100% bulletproof. To bad they do not make them anymore.

John M

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #7  
I will also add that Bob's comment is on target -- kinda. BTW, I believe you'll find that Ventrac will be a little higher than Steiner, not lower. But, from what I have seen, they are also built better.

The 4WD articulated garden tractor is one of those beasts that is neither fish nor fowl. Like jcm said, its sized and powered like a garden tractor, but its priced like a CUT, so why not get a CUT? Well, I can think of several reasons, most of which would involve steep slopes and working around lots of beds and/or trees. As for comfort, I have only test driven one for a few minutes, so I am no judge on that, but I sure did like their maneuverability.

It seems like a huge leap to go from a Sears LT to a Ventrac, but RaT did ask for the toughest lawn tractor out there, and Ventrac and Steiner most likely belong on that short list, along with the biggest little Deere's, the top of the line Cub's and the top of the line Simplicity's.

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #8  
This is where you have to love those open ended questions. If one is going from a Craftsman, my guess is they are not after the most expensive machines out there, but it would be of a big help if their question included a price range, and if their requirements would accept tractors on the used market.

For instance if I wanted a true lawn and garden tractor, (Not ZTR) brand new, and price were no object I'd probably get a JD X744 diesel. Sort of dream machine for the average homeowner, it really is more of a commercial intended LGT or something the chairman of the board has has yardsman mow the lawn with.

Used, and under $5000, the options are so many with a lot of tough machines out there including all those mentioned in above posts.

Thus, one can't ask just one question and expect to get a good answer.
-Fordlords-

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #9  
What I found out with the pricing between Ventrac and Steiner is that both have very negotiable prices, but neither are inexpensive. When I tested them, I felt that the Ventrac was more comfortable than the Steiner.

The reason I suggested the 3000 is because the tractor being purchased is an LT. The 3000 is a LT, not a GT or mini-CUT wanna-be. The 3000 has a rear mounted engine and the mower deck is placed right in front of the driver's feet. Its not quite like a ZTR, not quite as fast as a ZTR, but an amazing mowing machine, stable on a steep hill, capable of putting power to the cutting deck while climbing a steep hill. The deck itself is heavy steel, heavy enough to use the top of it as a dance floor and not worry about denting it. The whole machine is simple (the lovely Mrs. Bob can operate it) and built like a tank. It also mows a lot faster than a traditional LT because it is far more manuverable, and because the forward deck with 100% visibility allow the operator to get up close and personal to plantings without fear of running them over.

/ Toughest Lawn Tractor out there? #10  
Hello

How much area do you mow and is this all you do with? If all you do is mow you might consider a zero turn. Look at JD 757,777, grasshopper, dixechopper, scag, ferris, etc. After a little learning curve you will be able to cut your mowing time in almost half. If you need a garden tractor the JD 445,455,X485,X495,X585,X595,X7xx's. Deck sizes from 48,54,60,62, to fit your needs. Just remember if you spend a little more up front for a better quality machine an you keep up on proper maint. It will cost you less per hours of uses. Also your quality of cut will be better then the cheaper mtd's, ayp's no matter what name is on the side of it. As you see with your sears craftsman (apy)