Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation?

/ Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I' having trouble finding a tow behind spot sprayer that meets my needs. I've checked home depot, tractor supply, Fleet Farm, all the box stores...etc and searched online and am just not finding it. I'm hoping someone can point me to a brand I should look at.

I need a tow-behind spot sprayer in the 40 - 100 gallon range that I can pull with an ATV. The tank has to be round with no legs molded in the bottom or other unusual shapes where stuff can sit and make it really hard to clean. I want only a sump in the bottom of the tank. It must have a drain. I also want one that has the option of recirculating so that you can get some agitation to keep things in suspension. I want an electric pump and not a gas engine.

Seems like it should be relatively easy to find but apparently the guys engineering these things don't use them because certain things you spray have the consistency of paint and you mix in water and then the stuff clings to everything. I want something I with no nooks and crannies just a nice smooth round tank on the inside and then a single sump area in the bottom where the pick-up hose is located.

I know I could build one but don't have the time.

Any help would be appreciated. I did a lot of searching with no luck before asking here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation? #2  
Larger Ag type sprayer may be more rounded than the smaller utility spot sprayers. Not sure about this though.

/ Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation? #3  
I would think that most tanks will have some sort of shape that will be hard to rinse thoroughly
That shape is there to add strength and without it could collapse the tank

/ Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation? #4  
how DIY are you? 30 gallon to 55 gallon drums can easily be made into tanks. use a standard generic pull behind trailer, that has wheels and frame work to carry the weight of the fluid (water/chemicals)

make yourself some skids, so drums can be laid down on there sides.

you can get "on demand" 12v sprayer pumps, for use of hand wands, and with some valves and plumbing for some booms.

12v marine battery, or possibility to hook up to truck, car, tractor, 4 wheeler, etc... if battery on tow unit and alternator are strong enough to handle things.

have found that using "water tight seals" for pipes, picked up in the electrical isle of menards. say 1/2" up to 1" works nicely as bulkheads,

either go with metal piping, or use rubber hoses... stay away from plastic pipe (to easy to crack when things start vibrating and bumping around / fluid sloshing)

fairly easy to do a agitation setup, just another tee and another valve and bulkhead connection (water tight seal going through side of drum).

make frame work to hang a outside garden hose hanger. to let you real / unreal the spot sprayer hand wand hose up.

use another bulkhead connection, and a cheap valve, to use as an air bleeder, for when filling tank up, it allows air out, and fluid in vs dealing with stuff coming back up into your face.

if you attach filling area spot on the flat bottom or top ends of drum. you can use a 2" shower drain (hardware stores carry them) or go up to a 3" or 4" toliet flange, and use a screw on cap to get nearly a water tight seal, without having to put on pipe thread tape or like on the threads.

farm supply stores generally have a descent selection of "hand wands" to choose from. (farmking, tractorsupply, northerntool, grainger, etc...)

the same stores normally sell a little micron filter screen that you can toss in some place in the plumbing, (normally goes just before pump's inlet)

you can make your own "spray bar" to help clean tank out....take 2 water tight bulkheads, a piece of sch 40 or scho 80 pvc pipe. and drill a couple rows of small diameter holes along the length of pipe. drill 2 holes so they line up across the drum. and will spray water like wanted. slide pipe through and plumb valve and an end cap on the outsides were pipe goes through drum.

www.koiphen.com look up some of the varoius DIY 55 gallon drum filter threads. a wide range of bulkhead fittings, valves, spray bars, etc.. along with pictures of many folks DIY filters for ponds up. same like idea for a sprayer, just use is different.
==============
get a 4 wheeler package, and find yourself a trailer. if you have a 3pt hitch tractor. then buy a cheap ""carry all"" and mount 4 wheeler sprayer package to it.

==============
with above all said, i would caution anything over 50 gallons, and without baffles inside, you hit a little bump, and the water/chemicals inside will begin sloshing around.

water weighs what? little over 7lbs per gallon? getting up a small hill might be a challenge with so much weight behind it, trying to pull it.

the 30 gallon sprayer i have, goes pretty far, before need of a refill.

/ Tow-behind Spot Sprayer Recommendation?
how DIY are you? 30 gallon to 55 gallon drums can easily be made into tanks. use a standard generic pull behind trailer, that has wheels and frame work to carry the weight of the fluid (water/chemicals)

make yourself some skids, so drums can be laid down on there sides.

you can get "on demand" 12v sprayer pumps, for use of hand wands, and with some valves and plumbing for some booms.

12v marine battery, or possibility to hook up to truck, car, tractor, 4 wheeler, etc... if battery on tow unit and alternator are strong enough to handle things.

have found that using "water tight seals" for pipes, picked up in the electrical isle of menards. say 1/2" up to 1" works nicely as bulkheads,

either go with metal piping, or use rubber hoses... stay away from plastic pipe (to easy to crack when things start vibrating and bumping around / fluid sloshing)

fairly easy to do a agitation setup, just another tee and another valve and bulkhead connection (water tight seal going through side of drum).

make frame work to hang a outside garden hose hanger. to let you real / unreal the spot sprayer hand wand hose up.

use another bulkhead connection, and a cheap valve, to use as an air bleeder, for when filling tank up, it allows air out, and fluid in vs dealing with stuff coming back up into your face.

if you attach filling area spot on the flat bottom or top ends of drum. you can use a 2" shower drain (hardware stores carry them) or go up to a 3" or 4" toliet flange, and use a screw on cap to get nearly a water tight seal, without having to put on pipe thread tape or like on the threads.

farm supply stores generally have a descent selection of "hand wands" to choose from. (farmking, tractorsupply, northerntool, grainger, etc...)

the same stores normally sell a little micron filter screen that you can toss in some place in the plumbing, (normally goes just before pump's inlet)

you can make your own "spray bar" to help clean tank out....take 2 water tight bulkheads, a piece of sch 40 or scho 80 pvc pipe. and drill a couple rows of small diameter holes along the length of pipe. drill 2 holes so they line up across the drum. and will spray water like wanted. slide pipe through and plumb valve and an end cap on the outsides were pipe goes through drum.

www.koiphen.com look up some of the varoius DIY 55 gallon drum filter threads. a wide range of bulkhead fittings, valves, spray bars, etc.. along with pictures of many folks DIY filters for ponds up. same like idea for a sprayer, just use is different.
==============
get a 4 wheeler package, and find yourself a trailer. if you have a 3pt hitch tractor. then buy a cheap ""carry all"" and mount 4 wheeler sprayer package to it.

==============
with above all said, i would caution anything over 50 gallons, and without baffles inside, you hit a little bump, and the water/chemicals inside will begin sloshing around.

water weighs what? little over 7lbs per gallon? getting up a small hill might be a challenge with so much weight behind it, trying to pull it.

the 30 gallon sprayer i have, goes pretty far, before need of a refill.

Thanks Ryan. I knew I could build one but I already have too many projects on my plate so I'm hoping to just be able to buy one!