Towbar

/ Towbar #1  

Rgillard

Silver Member
Tractor
Fiat 82-94
Hello,

I am currently building a small trailer that will be used for rolling out sheep wire. It is for the fencing contractor that I work for. I have to weld a towbar onto the back of his quad(ATV) in order to pull this trailer. Where is the best place to weld to. I was going to weld to the frame but it moves with the suspension. Would I be better off taking it from the back axle. The trailer is fairly light and shouldnt put too much strain on the ATV. If anyone has any advice on putting a towbar onto an ATV I would really appreciate it. Dont really want to make a bullocks bag of the back of the ATV.

Cheers
Gilly

/ Towbar #2  
Gilly,

What kind of ATV is it? There are several aftermarket hitches that may work.

Brian

/ Towbar
It is only a 90cc model. Only really built for kids but the boss reckons that it will pull the small trailer. I think it is rated to pull 80kg. It was never built to work so there has been no really obvious place to weld to.

/ Towbar #4  
Who makes the quad (manufacturer)?
That is a pretty small ATV for towing. 80kg's is about the weight of a driver.
How much is the trailer and sheep wire going to weigh?
Sounds like you're going to really be pushing that ATV to the limit. If you're going to do it anyway, I don't know if connecting to the axle may be a good idea. If the trailer got hung up on something while driving, it may damage some of the drive components. If you go to the frame, is there space to put a hitch that will flex with the suspension and still clear the axle and anything else that's there?
Is there a handle at the rear of the seat? If you're making the trailer, can you have the tongue of the trailer come up to that point? (something to the effect of a child's wagon where the tongue/handle tips up for the kid to pull).

/ Towbar
Well it says on the manufacturers plate that it is rated for 80kg not including the driver and I have witnessed two men on it weighing about 35 stone between them. The little trailer is no more that 10-15kg and the sheep wire is about another 10. It should not put too much strain on it. I agree with you about going anywhere near the axle housing as serious damange could be inflicted alright. The owner actually suggested that I put it there though. I just cant think of the manufacturer at the minute. Ill try put up a photo after work of the back end of the quad. do you know any good sites that offer ATV accessories?

/ Towbar #6  
If you have goggle or some other search engine just type in ATV accessories and you will find a bunch of places. Cabellas, Northerntool, Dennis Kirk all come to mind, without searching. Or check out this place ATV Nation to get a good start

/ Towbar
i posted pics of the finished atv hitch on the build it yourself forum if anyone is interested in seeing them