Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup?

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #11  
Maybe I missed it? How do we know that he dose not have a modern truck? I never saw a model year posted.
The 3.73 tells me that it probably has the 4l60e transmission.

I have a DK40 w/out cab. My tires are dry. I would have no problem taking off my loader, hooking up my bushhog and towing to a friends/family property to mow. I have 4 wheel trailer brakes and a nice brake controller that has a accelerometer instead of the delayed timer style controller.

here is my controller Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90885

They have not put 3.73 gears in a half ton GM truck for 10 years or so.

Chris

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #12  
Why do you think a new tractor to the dealer? Mine is 11 yrs old and fluid changes and tires is all its needed in 1100 hrs.

Chris

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #13  
Are you stuck on the dk40? if you get a little bit smaller tractor that weighs 1000# less then you will be closer to max trailer weight.

Chris
my 06 gmc k1500 has 3.73's.

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #14  
Spindlewood,

I have a DK40SE HST (open station) & FEL, loaded rear tires. I did have (sold in Nov. '13) a 2001 GMC Sierra K1500 Ext. Cab 4X4 w/ 3.73 gears w/ aftermarket brake controller. I use a 10,000lb rated, 18ft equipment trailer. I never had a problem hauling my DK. The dealer was 32 miles (mostly expressway). Picked it up and then took it back for service once. All other trips have been 25 miles or less....just my situation. For some reason, that ext. cab length and the positioning on my trailer was balanced perfectly. I could run 65 w/ no problem on expressway. The rear squatted a bit but I never had a swaying problem.

Now, I use my father's 2010 K1500 Chevy, crewcab, shortbed (short-short bed) with a 3.42 rearend. My only issue hauling it with this truck is getting it properly balanced....and it depends on the attachments I'm taking w/ me as to the position on the trailer.

I really wish I had a 20ft. or possibly a 22ft. trailer now.....w/ FEL and 6ft brush cutter.....it gets kinda long. IMHO....if you are going to trailer it 4 - 6 times a year.....your 1/2 ton will work fine AS LONG AS you have a brake controller & maintain your truck and trailer brakes. IF you are trailering more frequently, then I would seriously consider stepping up to a 3/4 ton truck....but that's not an option (boy....do I understand that!!!!!).

I think you can do it....but just take your time and always give yourself time to stop.....trailering basics/101.
Best wishes!!!

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #15  
Work with the selling dealer to deliver the entire package to your door at purchase. Find out what they would charge to pick it up if it needed warranty repair. Other than that you shouldn't need to take it back and forth to the dealer, if you do the routine maintenance.
No need to fret about using an under-powered truck/trailer etc.

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup?
Maybe I missed it? How do we know that he dose not have a modern truck? I never saw a model year posted.
The 3.73 tells me that it probably has the 4l60e transmission.

I suppose both of you are correct (although I don't know for sure it's a 4l60e transmission). It's a 2003 GMC Sierra.

Don't even think of trying it without first installing a brake controller.

On the list of things to do before picking up the trailer. Thanks.

Work with the selling dealer to deliver the entire package to your door at purchase. Find out what they would charge to pick it up if it needed warranty repair. Other than that you shouldn't need to take it back and forth to the dealer, if you do the routine maintenance.

Package does include delivery. Glad to hear I shouldn't ever need to take it to the dealer.

I've confirmed the weight numbers with the dealer and it looks like I'm right at the limit without the loader, so I do have the option to tow if I need /want it. With the loader, I'm 1500# over the trailer and vehicle limits, which I know is pushing it - and in case of an accident a major liability. I suspect I could pull it just fine with my equipment, knowing they always under spec everything, but it's likely I won't need to.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #17  

Chris

That's not true at all. My 08 1500 had 3.73 gears and the 4 spd. auto and was rated to tow 8500 on a conventional trailer. 3.73 gears are available as an option for all 1500 Chevy trucks including my '13. All years can be looked up at Onlinetowingguide.com. My 2013 1500 has 3.42 gears but a 6 spd. auto. With the options I have the tow rating is higher on the '13 as well at 9600 for a conventional trailer. More than enough for anything I need to tow.

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #18  
That's not true at all. My 08 1500 had 3.73 gears and the 4 spd. auto and was rated to tow 8500 on a conventional trailer. 3.73 gears are available as an option for all 1500 Chevy trucks including my '13. All years can be looked up at Onlinetowingguide.com. My 2013 1500 has 3.42 gears but a 6 spd. auto. With the options I have the tow rating is higher on the '13 as well at 9600 for a conventional trailer. More than enough for anything I need to tow.

I thought they did away with 3.73 when the 6 speed debuted leaving 3.42 gears as the deepest option?

Chris

/ Towing DK40SE HST Cab with half ton pickup? #19  
One thing to keep in mind there are a lot of 7000 lb trailers out there. Often called car trailers. The rating is also including the weight of the trailer so that sized trailer isn't going to work for you. You will need a bigger trailer, it seems like a 14,000 lb trailer is common so that is what you would need. I would figure you would need to be able to tow 10,000 lbs with what ever truck you would use. There are some 1/2 tons that are rated for that but you are almost into 3/4 ton territory. In other words, you need another truck otherwise like others have said, just road the tractor. The only problem being is if the tractor is broken down, the dealer will have to come get it.

I cannot speak about the Dodge and new GM half-tons, but some configurations of F150s are currently rated at 11,000 pounds (look for the heavy half option that provides heavier brakes, axles and wheels). On the other hand, I know from experience that their regular trucks can tow well over their weight with little fuss. Ford increased the size of its regular production trucks brakes in '09, '12 and now '15 (which is getting a bump in payload and towing due to using aluminum body panels and being lighter). Meanwhile, I'm planning on getting a class A this summer because some configs of one tons can now require it!

These trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger.

But they never get better mpg, just more power. :scratchchin:

Trailer wise, I ordered an 83" wide, 20' car hauler with a 2' dovetail, spring-loaded tip up ramps, rub rail with dual 5200 pound Dexter axles, brakes and hubs from PJ trailers to haul around whatever 60 hp HST CUT I purchase that I plan to tow with an F150.