Towing Mishap

/ Towing Mishap #31  
Maybe I'm way off, but it looks to be like bumper/bumber cover, lights, hood, and drivers side fender, and paint of the same; and new grill/trim. Glass, door, and everything is probably fine; honestly the radiator is probably fine too. It's not like they are gonna repaint the whole truck, that's just a hood, front fender, and a color matched bumper coverView attachment 828591
With all the fluids on the ground I'm not thinking the radiator is fine. I'm actually guessing it likely stopped when the motor made contact. Totaled is my guess.

/ Towing Mishap #32  
Maybe I'm way off, but it looks to be like bumper/bumber cover, lights, hood, and drivers side fender, and paint of the same; and new grill/trim. Glass, door, and everything is probably fine; honestly the radiator is probably fine too. It's not like they are gonna repaint the whole truck, that's just a hood, front fender, and a color matched bumper coverView attachment 828591
My 2017 Silverado had much less damage than that in a “minor“ accident in a parking lot. Just some lighting, a fender, and bumper damage. Cost over $8k to repair. Them parts are very expensive.

/ Towing Mishap #33  
My 2017 Silverado had much less damage than that in a “minor“ accident in a parking lot. Just some lighting, a fender, and bumper damage. Cost over $8k to repair. Them parts are very expensive.
Acknowledge the hijack...but has anyone else seen the full replacement cost for F150 taillights???? 5K. For tail lights/covers. Crazy.

/ Towing Mishap #34  
. . .

I bet if you ask any semi truck driver, they'll have plenty of stories of people doing stupid things around their trucks.
Had a neighbor where both husband and wife drove semis. They had lots of experience being cut off by the little 4 wheelers.

The husband recounted one time where he was cut off like the OP at an exit ramp. He admitted that he didn’t apply his brakes as hard as he could. He realized he was going to hit them no matter what, so he though to give them a bigger taste of being struck from behind by 80,000 lbs.

/ Towing Mishap #35  
Had a scare hauling my B2601 Monday. Construction area with concrete barriers. Traffic suddenly stopped. ABS kicked in on truck (Ram 2500). I'm sure trailer brakes probably locked up but I was able to stop in time. I count it as experience I've rarely had to emergency stop like that while towing and was pleasantly surprised how well my rig handled it. I tow that tractor several hundred miles between properties many time each year and now have more confidence in my setup. I always try to maintain plenty of space and test trailer brake setting before leaving the properties.

I would not feel comfortable at all towing that load with a Tacoma, in spec or not.

Last edited:
   / Towing Mishap #36  
Acknowledge the hijack...but has anyone else seen the full replacement cost for F150 taillights???? 5K. For tail lights/covers. Crazy.

A friend who does body work tells me that AIR BAG deployment often makes the difference between a total-loss or not.

/ Towing Mishap #37  
but has anyone else seen the full replacement cost for F150 taillights???? 5K. For tail lights/covers. Crazy.
Was this the video you had seen, if so it was the tailights with the radar or some such accessory in them, it affected the whole CanBUS:
but yes I can't believe the price of parts not to mention that you can't buy just a certain piece of something.
Anyone whos watched SMA Auto, he had a GM SUV of some type, brake light bulb burnt out....nope, 'fraid not. The only replaceable bulb in the whole tailight assembly was the reverse light bulb. You had to buy the whole assembly for $1,500 for a burnt out brake light, ridiculous.

/ Towing Mishap #38  
Had a scare hauling my B2601 Monday. Construction area with concrete barriers. Traffic suddenly stopped. ABS kicked in on truck (Ram 2500). I'm sure trailer brakes probably locked up but I was able to stop in time.
There may be different types of trailer braking systems and control.

However, with classic electric brakes, it should be adjusted to not actually lock up the trailer brakes. And the harder you mash the pickup brake pedal won't matter.

Perhaps some systems are better with proportional braking and could give more braking as the pedal is mashed further, but still adjust the brakes so the tires don't break loose.

A trailer skid could be dangerous.

/ Towing Mishap #39  
A friend who does body work tells me that AIR BAG deployment often makes the difference between a total-loss or not.
Sure. If the repairs (including air bag replacement and anything else that's damaged) exceed X percentage of what the car is worth, it gets totaled.

X depends on your insurance, the area you live in, etc...

/ Towing Mishap #40  
There may be different types of trailer braking systems and control.

However, with classic electric brakes, it should be adjusted to not actually lock up the trailer brakes. And the harder you mash the pickup brake pedal won't matter.

Perhaps some systems are better with proportional braking and could give more braking as the pedal is mashed further, but still adjust the brakes so the tires don't break loose.

A trailer skid could be dangerous.
As I understand it, the original posters's Tekonsha Prodigy P2 is a proportional brake controller that bases the amount of braking on inertia. The harder you brake, the more inertia is sensed, and the harder it applies the brakes to the trailer.

"PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle's brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha P2 brake controller ideal in any braking situation."