Towing question for a friend

/ Towing question for a friend #11  
I would say they could do it. It is near the limits of the truck by the numbers, but with careful loading is ok.

That engine is a little small, but would work if you are not in a hurry.

Over the years, I have seen and been with people hauling similar loads with old 1/2 tons, with the old in-line 6 cylindes, 283's, 302's. They did just fine, they just were not speedy. I'd pull that load with a '65 Ford F100, straight-6, and a granny 4spd.

As much as I love my Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 rip snortin pullin fool of a truck, there was a day when people pulled trailers with a lot less than the 3-400hp diesel and gas engines we have now.

Your friend would probably be just fine. They will always be in the slow lane, but there is nothing wrong with that.

/ Towing question for a friend #12  
One of my past Travel Trailers was a 31 ' Terry Bunkhouse that weighed in around 6,800 lbs. I towed it with a Suburban 454. There were times I knew it was there like traveling the Mass. Pike, on the way to Maine. Clutch fan running most of the time on highest grade. What I'm saying is friends 4.6 is way to small for this task, he can count on a fistful of problems if he goes anywhere far or with increased elevation. Don't ask me how I know but now I only tow with Diesels, cause my summer trips usually run 5000 to 8000 miles.
DevilDog