Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor?
Consider CLIC dual wheels: Clic Wheel Systems Ltd - Dual Wheels for ATVs and Off-Road Vehicles - Products - Off Roaders

You will make a better, quicker, tractor decision is you study tractors in terms of (bare tractor) WEIGHT rather than SIZE.

I had discussed in length with one of the tractor dealers in Anchorage and settled on a Kubota B3350 but then after reading about all the problems with the emissions etc. I got scared off as even the dealer admitted it was a nightmare. There is ZERO support in Kodiak so any dealer support would have me shelling out the expense of a plane ticket, parts, room and board for a tech to come down....

So I looked at the B2650 but not sure if it has enough balls to do what I need? A fully loaded B2650 with loader and backhoe is less than 5K pounds.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #32  
I expect most of your respondents will agree with this recommendation: one of Kubota's 'MX' series with a bare tractor weight of 4,000 pounds. MX are very simple, powerful small tractors. The MX design has been in production 25 years, maybe thirty years.

You may have to ferry the tractor as one boat load, the MX Front Loader, Backhoe and Three Point Hitch implements as a second load.

http://www.kubota.com/product/mx4800/mx4800.aspx

I suggest you commence another thread: Anyone operating DUAL REAR WHEELS on Kubota B, L or MX tractors?

I like SNOBDDS's suggestion of a PTO powered Logging Winch.
tractor logging winch - YouTube

Last edited:
I expect most of your respondents would agree with this recommendation: one of Kubota's 'MX' series with a bare tractor weight of 4,000 pounds.

You make have to ferry the tractor as one load, the MX Front Loader and Three Point Hitch implements as a second load.

And this is also something I have considered. I could load tractor on the boat and take it over to cabin, then come back and have a forklift put the implements on and then use the tractor to get them off once back out at the cabin. Just have to figure out how to secure them on deck in a way that i would be able to get them back off with the tractor.

Wondering if it's the 26 hp will be enough or if I need to go to the 33+ hp?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #35  
Hey!!! Forget horsepower. Consider tractor weight 1st and 2nd, horsepower third.

A tractor's capability is defined by its WEIGHT.

LINK: Google

Last edited:
   / Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #36  
And this is also something I have considered. I could load tractor on the boat and take it over to cabin, then come back and have a forklift put the implements on and then use the tractor to get them off once back out at the cabin. Just have to figure out how to secure them on deck in a way that i would be able to get them back off with the tractor.

Pull implements on with a Come-Along wire winch. Lift off light implements with tractor's FEL. Or pull off using tractor's logging winch or a nylon tow strap.
Use ratchet straps or 1/2" nylon rope to secure implements on the boat. I know how potentially dangerous sea passages in a laded boat are.
come along winch - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #37  
It's an overgeneralization, but Kubota tends to have a light footprint for its horsepower; Mahindra is at the other end of the scale, with lots of ground-hugging weight. Other brands are probably in between. Weight helps with pulling/pushing ability but gets you mired quicker in soft conditions. That MX size is pretty good, IMHO... big enough to do serious work, not so heavy as to get bogged down by its own weight.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #38  
It's an overgeneralization, but Kubota tends to have a light footprint for its horsepower; Mahindra is at the other end of the scale, with lots of ground-hugging weight. Other brands are probably in between. Weight helps with pulling/pushing ability but gets you mired quicker in soft conditions. That MX size is pretty good, IMHO... big enough to do serious work, not so heavy as to get bogged down by its own weight.

Good point.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #39  
I don't under stand, you have 2 landing craft, a summer island home and rental properties on the mainland. You want to clear several acres of mature forest (does this mean stumps?) and are thinking about purchasing a little "b" sized glorified wheel barrow? (in relation to the scope of work)
Is this just a "pick at it for years" hobby project that you intend to mostly be working the tree's & resulting logs, brush manually into little pieces to use your orange wheel barrow to move about? I'm not trying to insult you at all and I look forward to you hopefully posting pics of this beautiful spot you have and your progress, but unless this is a very long term project with a huge amount of manual labor (all good), I really think you are way off track with this discussion of a tractor that small. It's still going to be a fairly monumental task even with several different 7000# machines like a CTL and a mini ex within those weight restrictions.

Just looked and an MX4800 4WD gear drive transmission weighs 3729#. The LA1065 loader weighs 1350# and the NH92 backhoe weighs 1800# this puts me within the 7,000# range. This seems like a much larger tractor than the B or even L models and may be the way to go?