Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best??

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #1  

burnetma

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758
I am just beginning my journey towards a tracked skid steer for land clearing (mulcher, dozer blade, loader, backhoe) and fence building (auger & pounder). Low ground pressure is important to me, thus I think a wheeled unit with tracks is not the best option, but I would like to hear what you think.

I have been reading the posts here and it seems that a lot of people hold the ASV RC100 in high regard. I do not want to start a brand war here, but are they the best for this type of application? Every machine has a weakness. What is the RC100's weak link? I am also considering CAT, Deere and Taekuchi. Any thing I should look out for with these units?

Finally, what is the track life and under carriage rebuild cost for these machines.

Thank you in advance,
Mark

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #2  
I wish I had more info, but I don't. I am not a fan of MB but these videos are quite entertaining.
MB Tractor & Equipment

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #3  
Hey Mark, I just happen to be one of those RC-100 owners. I'll give you the facts about what I found when I was shopping and then you can figure out what machine fits your bill.
1.I believe bobcat, taekuchi,all others except for cat run the same track system, I'm not talking performance or anything else for these all will have pretty much the same ground pressure. As for cat and asv they have the same 18" wide tracks and 6' of it on the ground. Lightest psi I think.
2.The asv's and I'm pretty sure the cat's too have a suspension. Not the tracks themselves but between the track system and the tractor. This will really show if you could [and I strongly suggest] you do a test drive. The test drive is what sold me.
3.One word, HORSEPOWER 100, and oh yea, TORQUE 304. The test drive showed this too. I had a bobcat T-300 in my yard about to buy it. I went by the dealer of the mulching head to demo and he was a asv dealer.long story short the bobcat didn't have high flow, RC-85's and 100's come stock with high flow. On bobcat's they told me it was a $10,000 option. No brainer.
4.The only 2 real drawbacks I can come up with for you would be sheer weight, tractor alone is 10,000 lbs. Mine with my head is pushing 13,000lbs. Next would be length, Its signifcantly longer that the others and slightly narrower.
5. As for the price of undercarriage I'll have to let Maka on here answer that for he is a dealer.
Now personal notes. I have driven across a nice soded yard with no problem and driven up embankments you couldn't even walk. Plus if you plan to run a mulching head asv's are the best hands down.
One other option is the new SR series from asv, They have true suspended track systems, good horsepower, superwide tracks,almost no rear overhang, and I think 30 gpm on highflow. But they just don't have enough umph to handle a mulching head.
Have you checked out asv's web site? Some pretty good videos. I hope this has totally confused you [just kidding]. Really, I hope this has given you a good starting point and atleast some questions to base your decission on. Happy hunting and if you have anymore questions just post.

Robbie Hegwood Trinity Mulching - Atlanta Georgia Mulching Company
ASV RC-100 running Timberax
F-350 P.S. 28' hooper triple axle goose

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best??
Robbie,

Thank you for the information. I have read all of the posts on the mulching heads and that is really interesting information also. I am very happy that you guys share your experiences.

I have also watched all of the videos on ASV, Fecon, Tushogg, Loftness, GyroTrac and MB Tractor. Excellent information.

I have requested rental and purchase quotes from the nearest ASV, CAT, Bobcat and New Holland dealerships (John Deere in my area does not rent). My next step will be to visit the dealerships (all 30+ miles away in different directions) and test-drive the units. I do not think any of the dealerships will provide me with a mulcher head for the unit, as they are not a listed attachment. So I will have to go to those dealers also. I would like to narrow the list to two mulchers and two skid steers and do a one or two day on-site comparison.

The weight and length of the RC100 is comparable to my JD 5420, thus I will need at least an 18k GVW trailer to move them to the job sights (two trips). I will also have to upgrade trucks, because my 1997 F250 Powerstroke (242k miles) will not legally handle that kind of GCVW. I planned the truck upgrade, but was hoping to be able to use this old girl and a new truck interchangeably. Not an option...

Cost of ownership is the other missing piece of the equation. I was looking at some pictures of used units from all the brands. What I can see of the undercarriage, it appears that the ASV "sprockets" will suffer from less wear than the other brands. One of my best friends runs a small excavation business and he shows me the expense of tracked machine maintenance. I just do not want any surprises because I did not do my homework.

Thanks again,
Mark

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #5  
Robbie: It is not true that all manufacturers but ASV and Cat have the same undercarriage. Takeuchi's is proprietary, as is CNH. Deere, Bobcat, and Komatsu all utilize the Berco undercarriage. They are common in that they are rigid-mounted to the frame of the machine, but they have subtly different features that each manufacturer twists in its own manner.

Mark, your starting point is good... I would advise looking also at the warranty work done specifically in mulching. Excavation contractors have complained incessantly that the ASV undercarriage does not hold up in stone environments; while land clearing isn't stone, it's still a little bit rough on the tracks. Be aware of that as well.

I don't think you'll go wrong with an ASV, but the idea of doing your homework is a great idea. Other than machine performance, consider also the dealer support in your area. Even if you've got the best machine, being stranded in a forest without parts isn't exactly productive, either.

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #6  
To Tigerotor77W, That's were I was going, just getting to the main two designs. I was hoping someone on here as yourself could give the details.
You are correct about the rock issue for I have heard the same because of the openness of asv tracks. A friend pointed that out to me who runs a bobcat and deals with rock reguraly. Definitly all good things to consider. I was going to put that in ealier but I ran out of time.
Mark, you are definitly on the right track. A couple more things regarding mulching heads. ASV markets there tractos toward mulching heads so consider that, plus loftness and ASV are in pretty tight. ASV even sales a package with a mulching head that you may want to look at. Second as far as other manufacturers, I heard they will even void the warranty on the tractor if you run a mulching head due to the stress it puts on a tractor. All points to consider and check on, I want you to buy the tractor that works best for you, as long as it's an ASV,[just kidding].
I do not have enough hours on my tractor to know yet but I've been told the rubber wheels in asv tracks are expensive, was also told it depends on how clean you keep them. I am extremely particular with my tractor so I hope to get the best wear out of the components.
My tractor almost always is runs my mulching head, and have had absolutely no problems. Now which mulching head to use is another thread. I think you best route is what your dealers carry and can service[parts,etc.] like Tigerotor stated. That's sound advice. Keep us posted. Robbie

/ Tracked Skid Steers - Good, Better, Best?? #7  
burnetma,

I'm also entertaining the purchase of a track loader and like you have a lot to learn.

Recently I looked over a Takeuchi TL 150 and impressed with the engineering and simplicity of the hydraulic layout and the undercarriage. That is one stout machine.

Number 1 drawback, no high output pump as yet, however one is soon to appear.

The undercarriage appears to be dozer strength! It has a planetary drive, adjustable idler, six carrier rollers and steel mandrel rubber cat.

I have an ASV dealer about 30 miles away where I can see an RC 100 to compare.

kubuddha said:
burnetma,

I'm also entertaining the purchase of a track loader and like you have a lot to learn.

Recently I looked over a Takeuchi TL 150 and impressed with the engineering and simplicity of the hydraulic layout and the undercarriage. That is one stout machine.

Number 1 drawback, no high output pump as yet, however one is soon to appear.

The undercarriage appears to be dozer strength! It has a planetary drive, adjustable idler, six carrier rollers and steel mandrel rubber cat.

I have an ASV dealer about 30 miles away where I can see an RC 100 to compare.

I saw on a website that Takeuchi TL150 are being offered with a "custom" hi-flow option. I do not know the details, but will look into it.
http://www.kellytractor.com/eng/images/pdf/supertrak.pdf

Interesting observation of the undercarriage.

Robbie Hegwood said:
Second as far as other manufacturers, I heard they will even void the warranty on the tractor if you run a mulching head due to the stress it puts on a tractor. All points to consider and check on, I want you to buy the tractor that works best for you, as long as it's an ASV,[just kidding].
Keep us posted. Robbie

Yeah, if I bought a machine and the manufacturer voided the warranty, that would make me HOT! Great piece of advice.

Differences in the track design is a key to the life expectancy. I noticed on a sales site Replacement Rubber Tracks - Skid Steer - Undercarriage Parts that the ASV and the CAT use different parts or at least they are not offering parts for the CAT 2_7 series machines.

I thought some of using my JD as a mulching machine, but I haven't been able to put together the pieces for the necessary hydraulic system. I am not sure that I have enough HP in the stock form (65 PTO/81 engine). I could add a turbo and turn it up some, but that would certainly void any warranty. Also doesn't solve the ground pressure traction problem.