Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000?

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #1  

choctawroseranch

Tractor
looking to purchase soon
So started looking at the MX5400. keep inching up in the cost and looking at getting most long term tractor for the $. About a $4,500 delta in the cost between the 6060 and 6000. Have 80 acres with someone taking care of baling for me so won't be doing that in the future. roughly half/half pasture to woods. Main uses will be brush hogging, some disking/tillage work w something like the LP 1572 , lots of moving dirt & loading wood etc with bucket, food plots, lots of tree grappling and cutting trails as needed. Land is fairly firm so the extra 1000 lbs on the 6060 doesn't concern me (or should it). If possible would like to by a tractor once and don't want to gave the tractor shrink when I get it on the ranch. thoughts?

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #2  
I have about the same acreage, lots of the same uses, and I plant up to 20 acres of foodplots.
The MX6000 was my choice, and it will do everything I need it too
Hydrostatic transmission, just makes life so much easier, with a homeowner multi use tractor.

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #3  
Personally I would go with the bigger tractor if you can afford it. The rear end in the M6060 is a lot beefier than that of the MX6000. All around the M6060 is a serious agricultural tractor with greater lifting and work capacity. A couple of things that kept me from buying one was the size, although not too much bigger. The weight, because I operate on wet slopes and the lack of a backhoe attachment. That is why I went with the MX series. All depends what you want to prioritize. The MX mostly works for my needs but sometimes I wish it was a little bigger.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #4  
I have 80 acres - mile long gravel driveway - winter snow. I have a Kubota M6040 - 4WD. Several implements plus very HD grapple and rear blade. For 27 years I had a Ford 1700 4WD. Took all that time to get the smaller projects completed. Now I'm into the bigger projects.

I doubt there is ever the perfect tractor. At times I wish for bigger and some times smaller.

I bought the M6040 - brand new in 2009. It's been a real work horse here on my 80. Never a moments problem either.
IMG_0009.jpeg

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #5  
I have 44 acres. I do lots for log pulling for firewood tight stuff, I do 10 acres in food plot activities. Grade about 1/2 mile of gravel road. I own a 2011 MX5100 HST, great tractor for my needs. I wish it was a little smaller more often than wish it was bigger, but it is actually the perfect fit for my needs and my place.

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #6  
There is an old saying. When you finally figure out what you want - go one size bigger. You will need it.

Most folks have no idea how much a tractor can help around their property. Once they get familiar with it - they will find so many more things to do with it - than they originally thought.

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #7  
The only time I've wished my MX6000 was bigger is when pushing over the occasional tree. Some species are easier than others, though I can generally push up to 10" with the MX.

And not to pick the scab on the gear vs HST debate - - - but for me personally, I wouldn't trade the frame/weight balance of the MX and the day to day usability of the HST for mowing, grapple and loader work or snow plowing for a bigger frame tractor with gears.

It works great for creating and maintaining woods trails.

And mowing for the "livestock" to graze.
1326500520.jpg
390917425.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #8  
There is some contradiction in what you wrote.

You mention discing/tillage work then mention "with something like a LP1572"

A landplane isnt really a tillage tool, and either tractor is plenty big for it.

But all your other tasks you mention....I'd sacrifice a little weight and capacity for the HST all day long. Moving material and using the loader with any degree of finesse is so much easier with HST trans.

With similar power, both tractors will handle a tiller equally well...which most people use for food plots. And either tractor will handle a 2 or 3 bottom plow pretty easily and a 7-8' disc

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000?
The only time I've wished my MX6000 was bigger is when pushing over the occasional tree. Some species are easier than others, though I can generally push up to 10" with the MX.

But...not to pick the scab off the gear vs HST debate - - - for me personally, I wouldn't trade the frame/weight balance of the MX or the day to day functionality of the HST when mowing, doing grapple and loader work or snow plowing for a bigger frame tractor.

It works great for creating and maintaining woods trails.

And mowing for the "livestock" to graze.View attachment 734607View attachment 734609
like all the deer! thanks for the reply

/ Tractor and price growing as purchase gets closer M6060 or MX6000? #10  
There is an old saying. When you finally figure out what you want - go one size bigger. You will need it.

Most folks have no idea how much a tractor can help around their property. Once they get familiar with it - they will find so many more things to do with it - than they originally thought.
That is the truth and after 10 Kubota's, everyone bigger than the previous one (and all bought new btw), I've learned my lesson, bigger is almost always better.

One thing I will say about them, Kubota's really hold their value, especially when trading them in....lol

Think I reached my plateau with my M9's. One with a cab one without.