Tractor backhoe - homemade

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,514  
Excited to see the next round of progress.

I have been wanting to build new arms for my small backhoe, but seeing this thread again has done something to me.. it made me think about just ADDING a 3rd arm between the existing two. 😂😅

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade
#1,515  
So, did you add the 3rd arm? :)

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,516  
No, but i sure haven't forgotten! I need to watch a bunch of videos and get my head around the pros/cons of the 3rd arm. It would certainly make the machine a little more complicated to operate, but it would also let me use more hydraulic circuits at once to push or pull on things if the angles were right.. working that whole thing out is on my mental 'to-do' list..

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,517  
No, but i sure haven't forgotten! I need to watch a bunch of videos and get my head around the pros/cons of the 3rd arm. It would certainly make the machine a little more complicated to operate, but it would also let me use more hydraulic circuits at once to push or pull on things if the angles were right.. working that whole thing out is on my mental 'to-do' list..
A variable boom doesnt make it more complicated to operate, because you dont really adjust the adjustable boom during digging. You adjust the boom to change between reach, and heavy digging or lifting closer to the machine.

The biggest advantage over a teledipper on conventional TLBs is that you have full crowd force on the dipper whether its extended or not, and that you can dig without having to retract a too long stick every cycle because it gets close to the ground under a short boom.

Last edited:
   / Tractor backhoe - homemade
#1,519  
That's exactly why I have chosen variable boom instead of telescope. Besides, you switch between functions with a press of a button, it's not like you have to search the right lever to pull