Tractor Basics

/ Tractor Basics #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have a couple of questions I was hoping someone can help answer. I am looking into buying a tractor and have been researching different brands. But in order to make an informed decision I want to make sure I understand some of the basic concepts. As far as the PTO goes, when they list a PTO horsepower, do they mean the rear PTO? When they list pump capacity under hydraulics is that the pump that operates the FEL? Does a larger pump capacity mean more lifting power or just faster lifting and lowering? Some catalogs show NET HP. Is that the actual HP of the engine? And one last question, what does the breakout force and digging force actually mean when it comes to FEL and BH. I am just assuming that the bigger numbers are better. Any answers to these questions would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin McD.

/ Tractor Basics #2  
For PTO HP they mean the rear PTO hp that is available to run the rear mounted implements. The MID PTO, if it is on the tractor, is used to power a mower deck. Not all tractors have a mid PTO.

Pump capacity is basically irrelevant, don't worry about it. I may get rocks thrown at me for that but tractors have 2 pumps, one for the steering and 3pt lift, the other for the front end loader. The loader speed is based on several factors, flow rate is one of them, but you can't really determine how fast a loader cycles by the pump rate. Larger pumps don't necessarily mean faster rates from one machine to the next. The cylinder size has a lot to do with cycle rates/speeds. So the best thing is for the manufacturer to match up the loader to the tractor as a pair that work with each other and work properly without fear of breaking the tractor.

Breakout force and digging force are what they sound like. More is better, within the limits of the tractors ability to handle the capacity. Understand also that capacities are measured at different points. When you compare, make sure you compare same to same. Common points of measurements are at the pivot point, the bucket center, and the bucket lip. . . the highest rating is at the pivot point and the lowest is at the lip. Similarly with the 3pt hitch, some measure at the ball ends, some at 12" aft and some at 24" aft; the farther back the lower the rating.

/ Tractor Basics
Bob,
Thanks for the information. It clears the picture for me.
Kevin McD.

/ Tractor Basics #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pump capacity is basically irrelevant, don't worry about it. )</font>
While some of what you say about this is true, I can't agree that it's irrelevant. Pump capacity does indeed have a significance in how fast things operated. Contrary to your further statement that all tractors have a pump for steering and 3pt hitch and one for FEL, that's just not true. MANY tractors use only one pump for everything, and most that have two pumps have one for the steering, and one for the 3pt and FEL.
In this case, I would be concerned about finding the highest gallon per minute (GPM) pump on the MAIN pump, and not worry about the steering GPM.
In general the loader will operate faster with a higher flow rate. Yes, cylinder size plays a part, but without the flow, the cylinder isn't going to make that much difference. John

/ Tractor Basics #5  
Yes, I agree with you. Pump size is not irrelevent. The bigger the better on the main pump.

And yes, although my tractor has a separate pump for steering, but many use one pump for everything.

Richard