Tractor Choice??

/ Tractor Choice?? #1  

g42guy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, '55 Farmall Cub, '57 Ford 640
This is part of a post on the general buying forum. But in a nutshell, all three of these tractors fit my need. What would be your choice? Any others to consider? Would be looking for one that is restored or in real good clean original shape.
Ford 640 or 860
Oliver 55/550
MF 135

/ Tractor Choice?? #2  
I'm a ford man myself.. but I'll try to offer some advice without too much bias.

1, the fords will have the best parts availability.. probably followed closely by the oliver. I cant remember if the 135 is the domestic model.. but I think it is.. and the 130 is the french model... stay away from the french model.. hard to get parts for... domestic model should be ok.

I almost bought an oliver 55.. was nice that it was a deisel.. seemd like a solid tractor.

I would guess from seeing them in person, that the 135 is the smallest of the 3, and that the 860 and the 55 are the best HP machines, with the 135 being close to the 600 series.. though perhaps a bit better.

In the end.. it will matter more on the condition of the machine.. the price, and how well you take care of it... the machines you mentioned are close ballpark. older mid size tractors.

Get a good one.. take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Soundguy

/ Tractor Choice?? #3  
I just went through this process for work on my 40 acres - although I am quick to admit I dont manage all 40....local farmer plants hay on more than half. Anyhow, I found that adding loader to the requirement reduces options, raises price, and diminishes quality (as a function of statistics I guess)...what this simply means is that I found lots of nice, clean, restored tractors for $5,000 or less....but with no loaders. Tractors with loaders are always significantly more expensive, and often were worked harder and in poor shape.

Enough babbling. In my area, you could get a Ford 3000 or 4000 with power steering and 8spd manual with full hydraulic loader in good to very good shape for $7,000. This would be my choice if I were looking to spend that. If you want to stay around 5k - nix the loader. Most loader tractors at 5 are either trip bucket antiques, or beat to heck. Have fun searching! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tractor Choice?? #4  
Of the brands of tractors you list, I would favor the Olivers. I think they are built heavier than the Fords. Parts are fairly easy to get. However, I think you might have a hard time finding one in good shape with a loader. You might want to try the Jimna tractors from China, they are over your price limit, and are bare-bones units, but their small units are very reasonably priced and seem capable. They are sold under a variety of names including Farm Pro, NorTrack, Jimna and Homier, plus a few others. I'd prefer to go with a new tractor over a 40 to 50 year old unit any day, and I'd prefer to go with something that has more features than a Jimna, but with the budget you are looking at, you might be able to push a bit more and get new with a warrenty? You could also look at the grey market tractors, try Sweet Equipment or Corriher's, both are big movers of the grey market machines and have been around for a while. Grey market units are similar to the Jimnas, only used and lower priced. There are advantages to them over the old Fords/Olivers (though I hate to admit that). And the prices are LOW.

/ Tractor Choice?? #5  
The MF 135 is a good solid tractor, that is easy to operate. And yes, you can still get all of the parts. I would like to have a orchard model to restore.

/ Tractor Choice??
Thanks Bob,
I have had an 8N in the past and know what I would be getting into on old tractors. But I gotta tell ya, I was not aware of the old Olivers until I saw your post about the one you had on ebay. I thought it looked and sounded great!

I would like to get more info on them. Where should I be looking. Sounds like it would be good match for a ford 600 or 800 series.

I may still be considering an old Ford in good shape just because there are still a lot around and parts are easy to find. I had the 8N for five years did all my landscaping and hauling for our new house then sold it for the same amount. I think (up here anyway) the novices all have the prices up even higher than they where back then (about 7 years ago when I sold it).

/ Tractor Choice??
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the end.. it will matter more on the condition of the machine.. the price, and how well you take care of it... the machines you mentioned are close ballpark. older mid size tractors. )</font>

Sound guy, I agree all the way!! It will come down to what I can find, in the best shape. Would love to track down a old Ford or Oliver that was completely restored. I may even consider another 8N if it was nice. I think for what I need to do it would work fine. But the extra hp of the others would always be nice.

/ Tractor Choice?? #8  
Certainly not to start a war, but proceed with caution with greys and chinese. I think the grey jap tractors are very well built and engineered, but geesh it can be tough finding parts. Plus most of them are quite small - not suited to your task at all. I have looked at the chinese tractors (jinma) and have real concerns about the build quality, and also the parts. There is nothing nicer on a sunday afternoon than walking into tractor supply and snagging the part you need off the shelf.....

/ Tractor Choice?? #9  
The Ford 860, or 800 series in general, is larger than the 600's and the Oliver S55 or 550s so I am not sure if you need that large of a tractor or if the utility class units will be large enough. I cannot say enough good things about the Olivers. I sold the Super 55 but am now considering buying my next, and it might be a similar model. I would love to get an Orchard tractor to restore, any series would be good. But the nostalgia aside, Olivers are just darn good tractors, for their time they were better built and had more features than their competitors. Their prices today are a little higher than the Fords, I can't speak to the Massy, but the Olivers are more capable than the fords. In the fields around me I still see Oliver 77s working, so that says something about them.

/ Tractor Choice??
Do you know of web sites or book where I can get more info on the Olivers? I am VERY interested. Are ther any other model other than the 55/550 modle that would be roughly the same size.