Tractor control modifications

/ Tractor control modifications
Bent the rear position control away from the seat 1.5 inches and extended it about 3 inches. As it was originally it hit me in the knee if I was turned to look back as I do when operating the gannon.
1.5 inches over was all the room it had to the fender. Up 3 inches put the handle above my knee when turned in the seat and fully lowering the gannon (aka box blade) I used a little bigger 1.5 inch knob for this control so it easily distinguished from the other 3. Anyway here are starting with the original configuration and the mods :

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 93
   / Tractor control modifications #12  
Where did you source the extensions, and how are they fastened to the original lever?

Verrry nice!

Where did you source the extensions, and how are they fastened to the original lever?

Verrry nice!
Thank you BackRoad (y) I bought knobs here > Knobs & Hand Screws | Control Knobs, Torque Screws, & More They sell machine parts knobs and stems. Some of the stem I used were just bolts we turned on a lathe to narrow them down. Then I cut a slot in them and welded them onto the flat stock Kubota used. You can see the fitment before the welding.
Find some more machine knobs at Zoro here > Innovative Components GN8C----B7-L-21 $1.97 Hand Knob, Blind Hole, 1/2"-13 | Zoro.com

Attachments

• IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 73
   / Tractor control modifications #15  
Thanks Mr. Scootr. Very helpful.

/ Tractor control modifications #16  
Very nice and professional looking modifications. Helps not only with operational ergonomics but also a significant increase in safety.

IMG_0487.JPG

B26 parking brake

Welding on an extension to the parking brake lock lever improves user ergonomics but also improves visually the on/off position. The “on” lamp is a secondary reminder.

The backhoe thumb foot control has always been awkward for me. Love the the thumb function but always seems like I’m stepping on my dance partner’s feet when using. Big feet and little pedal part of the problem. Don’t have the natural fluidities compared to the other controls. Evaluating augmenting the pedal and adding a hand control lever too.

Very well fitted and nice looking mods scootr!

Thanks Mr. Scootr. Very helpful.
Thank you, Gentlemen.
Smokeydog, I love the warning light. Was shocked to realize I actually drove off with the brake on once... now I shy away from setting the brakes for fear of leaving it on and ruining them.
Another point I have thought about modifying was the 4 wd lever. It is way down low on the left. You can stomp the handle to engage 4wd but you have to reach nearly to the floor to select 2wd.
My last tractor had rocker switches on the dash for this and the differential lock. I guess the Kubota tractors are a bit crude. More refinement to come.

/ Tractor control modifications #18  
B20 parking brake was an insult to engineering and hardly ever used. FEL bucket was the parking brake for 25 years. Upgraded to the B26. Caught wife and myself operating with the brake on. I tended to set the brake more firmly and more noticeably but it’s a powerful little tractor. Needed improving to take full advantage of the safety equipment without detrimental damage. Bracket with hole already factory mounted under the dash for a rear motorcycle type brake switch. Some countries may required brake lights? The added handle makes it easy to set and monitor. No more driving with the brake on.

She is good using the parking brake, seatbelt, differential lock and moving low and slow mowing our hillside dirt patch.
IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

If you don’t make controls easy people will not use them correctly.

So Smokey if I'm reading you right your are saying those are her boots not yours? :p :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Tractor control modifications #20  
So Smokey if I'm reading you right your are saying those are her boots not yours? :p :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe…

Designing for yourself is easier than for all. As another poster explained, the smallest change can have the biggest affect of enjoyment.