Tractor Sizing Tractor for small hobby farm

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #41  
I would consider expanding the list of manufacturers. Most of the brands make generally good equipment and have various pros and cons.

For your budget, I was quoted a TYM T494H which is on par with the L4760 Kubota, but has few more features. LS also makes some great tractors at more affordable prices. I have only a few more acres than you and mine is mostly wooded. I want the heavier tractor for stability doing loader work and the lift capacity of these (and LS and Kioti) are appreciably greater than an equivalent Kubota. Nothing wrong with Kubota, but you pay a lot for the name recognition.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #42  
Traction: generally, you get more traction with a heavier machine. Given if you hit a bottomless spot, bot will sink. Heavier will sink deeper as a general rule and be more difficult to get out.
You did not (at least that I noticed) list what your needs are, these should be your primary focus in your decision. Then future needs as a secondary focus. Yes you listed equipment that you are looking at, but as an example, will you be moving around in trees. If yes bigger requires more space to make turns requiring more clearing of trees. You mention storage space/size of buildings. Will you be trying to clean out areas in buildings? Generally bigger machines come with wider implements/attachments.
Make your list of needs and future needs (task to be done) and time commitment you want to spend on those task (box blade usage—what size fits your needs—4’ or do you require wider?) Try to figure out as much as possible before purchase.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #43  
Really greatful for all the good tips and information in your responses. A couple of things I should clarify.

I do not currently need to maintain 'the hay field' which makes up about 7acres of the 15acres. We have a very experienced rancher next door who cuts and bales this field each year for us, and takes 90% of the hay for payment. I chose to include the full acreage because I can't predict the future. This arrangement could come to an end, or we may decide on a new use for this space.

Our budget is 30k or less. I plan to purhcase some used additional impliments when they pop up. For now it would likely be just a rear blade and a small tiller.

I think everyone who's responded so far has suggested I go with the larger L2501 or CK2610. I feel most comfortable with these options but my only issue with these is that they're pretty wide for tilling our small garden rows. I'm thinking maybe we could run a narrow tiller (3 feet?) that fit between the rear wheels and run the wheels in the paths. Is this method common?

Those two tractors I mentioned are very similarly priced locally, but any addons like rear remotes and implements are 1/3rd the price from Kioti (can't figure out why that would be...). I'm wondering about quality and resale value. Anyone have any comments on differences between Kubota and Kioti?

Thanks again for all the thoughts. I get the feeling I'll be asking more questions here in the years to come...
After gardening for over 30 years, I have come to a decision to use the tractor tiller for beginning and end of season soil prep, and a rear tine walk behind tiller for middle of season cultivation. Even when I spaced the rows 6’ apart, I couldn’t use the tractor to till the garden because the plants spread and sprawl too much. And you definitely want a pto tiller at least as wide as your rear wheels.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #44  
IDK about prices. I haven’t priced that size tractor. But for 15 acres, hands down, go with the L2501 or CK2610. You with find uses on your land that you’re not thinking of today, and the extra weight and stability of these machines will be appreciated. In fact I would almost urge you to at least consider a larger heavier machine. And you will be surprised how tractors shrink when you get them home on your land.
He about said it all!

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #45  
Don't cheap out, I made that mistake. I knew what sized tractor I needed but got the (E)conamy model. For $2500 more I could have got the bette(R) model with an adjustable steering wheel, suspension seat, and power lift with depth set.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #46  
In my opinion the only tractor that is to big is the one that is to long to fit on your property. That may be a tad excessive but I have a 40hp construction tractor that is a tank. I was shocked how quickly I found tasks that it was not hefty enough to perform.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #47  
My 2 cents is at 15 acres go with a 50hp. A small baler will take 35-40 hp to run at the pto. I can run mine with my TC-30 but in the long run it's too hard on it. The bigger gives you more options for future proofing what you don't know you need yet. We have changed up things in our "plan" so many times I'm glad I went with a second bigger tractor. Both get used. If I'd done a 50hp to start with I'd only need the one..... for the most part. I bring them both to the limit almost every use :) as I find more "needs" for them all the time. Just make sure you have a quick attach bucket. That will also allow more future uses say a snow blade or whatever. Remotes is a big plus front and rear.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #48  
Lots of opinions. Lots of $. Consider another opinion from a first time tractor owner for 15 acres

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #49  
Contrarian opinion as usual in these kind of posts. Smaller is better. Don't go above 25 HP on a new tractor or suffer all the diesel emission controls we keep hearing about. If you need the dealer to service your tractor note that a smaller tractor is a lot easier to haul - can be done with a reasonably sized trailer and half ton pickup. I do everything you describe on my scattered 120 acres of tree farm with twenty-five horsepower tractors: JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650. In the past I used a Ford 1700 and a Kubota B7100 (18 HP). If you have level land, don't worry about R4 tires, if not level, consider R1 tires or the new R14s. Btw a five-foot bush hog is not necessary. I mow seven acres of old rough pasture annually with a four foot mower. I used to have a five-footer until I wore it out, but I didn't notice much difference in time to complete task between the four-foot and five-foot. New four footers are much more common and consequently a lot cheaper in my area.

/ Tractor for small hobby farm #50  
I have used a 1977 Massey Ferguson 255 with loader since 1994 on 30 acres with pasture, woods, and a creek crossing it that flows year round. The listed hp is 52. In 2022 I bought a new tractor. It is a Mahindra 5145. The listed hp is 45. The same tractor is available in 55 hp, but it has a turbo charged engine.

Keeping in the 50hp range I looked at Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Yanmar, and Mahindra. I compared : wheel base, width and length, turning radius, lift capacity for loader and three point, location of hydraulic lines, location of exhaust, material it is made of, driver comfort, etc, etc. There is another important factor to consider. Dealer : How far away is he, what is the quality of his service and parts department.

I would never ever settle for a smaller tractor. BTW...I love my Mahindra 5145.