Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac #1  

wolfden793

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere LX 266, John Deere Gator TX, Kubota B7500, Takeuchi TB016
Hi All,

We have a Kubota B7500 tractor and are looking for a three-point hitch, PTO powered leaf and debris vac. We are not looking for a model that attaches to a deck, but rather one with a long hose to reach into flower beds, etc. If anyone knows of such a beast, please let us know. Thanks!

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac #2  
Most of the leaf vacs are set up with small gas powered motors running around 2500-3500 rpm. Your PTO is at 540 rpm? At best, you'll get weak suction unless you add a pulley set-up to increase the rpm of the vac by a factor of 6:1 or so. OK if you have a free vac with blown motor & some fab skills, but probably better off & cheaper just replacing the 6.5 horse motor ($150 at HF) given the price differences in gas and diesel.

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac #4  
Trac-Vac is one of several manufacturers that make PTO leaf vacs. I've had one for several years, and it works very well.

They mainly market it for attachment to a mid-mount mower, but sell it without that attachment, and with a long hose with a handle on the end to maneuver it. That's the configuration I bought. It has plenty of power -- it will pick up rocks big enough to trouble me when they go through the blower, so you have to hold it off the ground when that's a risk.

When I bought it they supplied two 10-ft black hoses for collection, connected with a short piece of pipe. That's not a good arrangement because twigs that get picked up tend to collect there and block the hose. I replaced it with 20-foot length of "clear" hose that virtually stops the clogs, and makes those that to occur visible so I can see where it is (usually at the connection to the blower).

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac
Thanks everyone! Great input and products to check out. Appreciate your time!

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac #6  
I have a trac vac bought new 15+ years ago and got the pickup hose/handle setup for our beds. Used it once and put it away as it pulls up mulch and compost around the plants. I just blow the beds out with a leaf blower then vac up the leaves - its much faster too doing it this way.

/ Tractor mounted PTO leaf vac
Hi Carl,

Good to know this. We don't want ground covering removed, just the top layer of leaves. We'll keep this in mind. Thanks!