Tractor Overturn Hazards Article

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #1  

tmajor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963
This article on Tractor Overturn Hazards from the University of Wyoming shows the areas of danger of a tractor overturn and the split second which it takes.

I would consider it a "must read" for all new tractor owners, and a "should read" for the old timers.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #2  
Interesting article, but some people will remain unconvinced. It makes sense to me. When I was farming and pulling logs, it was not unusual for the front end to come off the ground and have to steer with the brakes. I don't advise this, but you do what you have to do and it was pretty common practice in the days prior to MFWD tractors. It was also not unusual to see someone sitting on the hood of a tractor to keep it down; again not recommending it.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article
Yeah, TripleR isn't lying about that!

I think, the worst was with a trailer and a light tractor (Ford N or Ferguson). As the trailer got more hay loaded, the front would become lighter. Usually, once you got out of the field, it would settle down some, depending on the load.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #5  
Yeah, TripleR isn't lying about that!

I think, the worst was with a trailer and a light tractor (Ford N or Ferguson). As the trailer got more hay loaded, the front would become lighter. Usually, once you got out of the field, it would settle down some, depending on the load.

Yep, the N and NAA/600 both reacted pretty well to someone on the hood and if no one was handy, you just steered with the brakes. A heavy load or good pull would bring the front end up and even if the wheels were still touching they didn't do much to steer as there was so little weight on them.

On some of the bigger tractors, you could actually do wheelies with them without even having anything hooked up, but you could only get three or four feet of air.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #6  
Great article, and thanks for posting it...

Agreed... It should be "required reading!"

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #7  
The article says that the "stability baselines" for a wide front axle trailer go to the wheels as opposed to the front pivot. The author makes no mention of a front pivot.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #8  
North Country said:
The article says that the "stability baselines" for a wide front axle trailer go to the wheels as opposed to the front pivot. The author makes no mention of a front pivot.

To be fair, by the time one is in danger of rolling one's tractor the pivot point will have run out of travel and the point of stability will be at the wheel.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #9  
Triple R , never sat on the hood, but it was required to be able to steer with the brakes, hince i never had the pedals locked together..on the 8N.

/ Tractor Overturn Hazards Article #10  
To be fair, by the time one is in danger of rolling one's tractor the pivot point will have run out of travel and the point of stability will be at the wheel.

I strongly disagree, but this has been hashed & rehased. Some think it's one way, some think it's another. Until we have a volunteer willing to video the front axle during a rollover we'll never settle it. :laughing: