Tractor Position At Rest

/ Tractor Position At Rest #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
A friend has recently told me it is best to leave your tractor with FEL up a bit as well as 3PH while tractor is resting. I always tend to set them in down position relieving the hydro pressure. Comments?

/ Tractor Position At Rest #2  
I leave everything down and with the pressure off of it. In other words, drop the bucket, turn the tractor off and then wiggle the joystick until all the pressure is relieved. I'm not sure this is necessary, but its just what I do.

Why does your friend suggest you should leave things up?

/ Tractor Position At Rest #3  
N80 said:
I leave everything down and with the pressure off of it. In other words, drop the bucket, turn the tractor off and then wiggle the joystick until all the pressure is relieved. I'm not sure this is necessary, but its just what I do.

Why does your friend suggest you should leave things up?

That's what I do

/ Tractor Position At Rest #4  
I also do like Albi and George. I can't see having any extra pressure or stresses in the lines/o rings/valves, if you don't need to. There's a safety factor, also.

/ Tractor Position At Rest #5  
We always left the loader and 3ph up on our MF35 when I was growing up. Had plenty of starter and battery problems, so we would push start it, or pop start it if we parked on the hill next to the barn.

That was fine until my young cousin (7yo) was playing on it and waving all the levers. DROPPED the loader from 2'. No damage, scared the tar out of him. Woke up my Dad and Gramps that maybe that was not the safest thing to be doing.
From then on, all tractors are 'on the ground' when stopped.

Keith inSC

/ Tractor Position At Rest #6  
Keith01 said:
We always left the loader and 3ph up on our MF35 when I was growing up. Had plenty of starter and battery problems, so we would push start it, or pop start it if we parked on the hill next to the barn.

That was fine until my young cousin (7yo) was playing on it and waving all the levers. DROPPED the loader from 2'. No damage, scared the tar out of him. Woke up my Dad and Gramps that maybe that was not the safest thing to be doing.
From then on, all tractors are 'on the ground' when stopped.

Keith inSC

All cylinders down and relaxed. Unless you want the huge lawsuit from killing a kid.

Andy

/ Tractor Position At Rest #7  
I was taught that since I started operating when I was 8. Safety first.

Andy

/ Tractor Position At Rest #8  
AndyMA said:
All cylinders down and relaxed. Unless you want the huge lawsuit from killing a kid.

Andy

Should the FEL be curled up while resting in order for the cylindars to be fully retracted or should the front edge of the bucket be level with the floor?

/ Tractor Position At Rest #9  
There are 2 different goals here.

1) drop everything to keep accidental death or crushing from occuring.

2) leave the cylinders under some pressure to keep the seals tight and leak free.

I tend to keep the stuff down as replacing seals is typically quicker and cheaper than a trip to the emergency room....

/ Tractor Position At Rest #10  
I curl my bucket all the way back so the cylinders arent exposed