Tractor Purchase....finalist

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist #1  

frankv

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5525, Century 3045, Farmall A
I have posted a few questions regarding specific tractors in my quest, but now I think I am down to three finalist. All a little different. Alot of this is based upon availability as I need a tractor within the next three to four weeks.

The main use is on a 20 acre vegetable farm. I have a 45 HP Century that will now need some help as we have expanded our landbase. Chisel Plowing, rototilling, cultivating, spraying, manure spreading duties. Perhaps plowing/discing.

Primarily started looking for open stations for budgeting reasons but some cab models where considered because it sure would be nice snowblowing in the winter.

Ruled out the Kubota open stations as the throttle position on the floor does not work for my size 13 feet. The cab model is hard to justify but I have tried them out and like them. If I have to choose between a loader and a cab I would choose a loader.

So I am leaning towards an open station JD 5085M MFWD 16/16 PR slightly used (50 hours)for $35k. Next is a 2005 5525 with cab MFWD 9/3 syncro with 1000 hours for $32.5k, or a 2010 JD 5083E with Mid SVC's for $37k.

I am not able to see the 5085M in person, only cab models are stocked around here. But looking at the actual tractors around here it seems to be a more substantial frame and rear end than the others despite the fact that on paper they appear nearly identical. Seems the M tips the scale a little on hydraulic flow and 3 point lift by a small amount. The 5525 and 5083E appear to be the same exact tractor if you don't look at the cabs. 5525 is a more spacious cab.

Does anyone know what I would be giving up on the M to go with a 5083E or 5525 other than 100lbs of 3 point lift? A cab would be nice. The 5083E's throttle pedal though is a little bit behind the loader arm also as is the Kubota's, but it's not as bad. The 5525 is spacious.

I could add a loader to the M or the 5525 and be done at $40k, the 5083E would push above $40.

Another note...I have a quote for a Kubota 8540HDC with 8 speed for $36k but it would have to be located. I think I like the JD cab's a little better (5525, not the 5083e).

Thoughts?

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist #2  
I can't say about the pricing as I haven't looked at the 5000 series tractors closely, but the 5525 is more of a premium tractor than the e tractor. If it were me I would closely compare the available options on the three tractors as the options can drive the price up or down depending on the configuration.

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist #3  
The 16/16 PR tranny is a much better option than the 9/3 synchro and a shade better than the 12/12 PR on the 5083E.

Multiple types of ground work (discing, chisel plowing, moldboard plowing, rototilling) with differing soil conditions and weather is a whole lot more enjoyable and efficient with those extra speeds - both up and down.

I believe the 25 series is more in line with the M series in terms of "fit and finish" and available options. The E is more of a "value line" tractor and does not offer the selection of transmissions and hydraulic options that can be found on the 25 and M machines.

If you intend to buy and use your tractor for a good number of years - get the cab and transmission and hyd options that are gonna meet/exceed your current needs and give you the flexibility to capably handle your farm's future growth.

My $0.02

AKfish

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist
If you intend to buy and use your tractor for a good number of years - get the cab and transmission and hyd options that are gonna meet/exceed your current needs and give you the flexibility to capably handle your farm's future growth.

AKfish

You just defined the 5085M/Cab 16/16 PR that is for sale with 100 hours on it for $46k. Problem is we can not afford that.

Problem is I can't wait for a factory order so have to take what is availabe.

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist
Just got back from the dealership. I pulled the trigger on the used 5525 with the 9/3 transmission. I think I will be fine with the number of gears and it fit my budget and I got a cab for winter snowblowing.

It's got a bunch of suitcase weights on the front and three discs weights on the back as well as loaded 16.9-30 radials.

It's getting serviced and detailed and I should have it Saturday....I know....I know...pictures.

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist #6  
Congratulations on your tractor! Lookin' forward to your pictures.

(I have noticed that those Northeast dealer's are a hard bunch to cut a deal with....) ;)

But, if they'll stick with you when something goes gunnysack -- that's worth a whole lot -- and sometimes it can mean more than just the money!

Best of luck down the windrow..

AKfish

/ Tractor Purchase....finalist #7  
The 5525 should be a great tractor and as you say you will have a cab for winter. Enjoy your new tractor.:thumbsup: