Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #1  

davesill

Tractor
New Holland TC30
It's a New Holland TC30, diesel. Bushhogged for an hour and a half and saw the temperature was creeping up so I stopped and cleared the seeds and leaves that were clogging it. It started right back up but died 20 seconds later as if the key had been turned off. Put everything in neutral and turned the key. The dash lights came on, but it didn't crank at all. Not even a click. Replaced the OEM 2006 battery last weekend so that should be good.

Any suggestions?

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #2  
So now that it died it's a no-crank correct? Make sure to switch is turned completely off, seat sensor is plugged in, etc. If that's all okay check electrical connections you had apart to replace battery. If they are clean and tight check ground cable from battery to frame and positive connections at starter?

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #3  
pto switch. Spell corrected😊

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start
So now that it died it's a no-crank correct? Make sure [pto] switch is turned completely off, seat sensor is plugged in, etc. If that's all okay check electrical connections you had apart to replace battery. If they are clean and tight check ground cable from battery to frame and positive connections at starter?

Thanks, Rusty. Yeah, it doesn't crank at all. I'll check those in a bit. I did check the battery connections and they're good.

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #5  
Do you hear a 'click' when you put the switch in the start position? If you don't, then it could be the starting relay. Try shorting the starter (flat head screwdriver between its 12V terminal and its ignition terminal). If it starts, then it very well could be that relay.

My Kioti did the same thing earlier this year. Mechanic told me to try this and it started. Told me then to swap the shutoff coil relay and starting relay (both are the same on mine) and see if would start and in my case, it did. He changed the relay and it has started fine since then.

Edit: Of course, that was after I made sure all safety switches were not the issue.

Last edited:
   / Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #6  
You DID disengage the PTO right? Sounds like a safety circuit.

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start
Do you hear a 'click' when you put the switch in the start position? If you don't, then it could be the starting relay. Try shorting the starter (flat head screwdriver between its 12V terminal and its ignition terminal). If it starts, then it very well could be that relay.

My Kioti did the same thing earlier this year. Mechanic told me to try this and it started. Told me then to swap the shutoff coil relay and starting relay (both are the same on mine) and see if would start and in my case, it did. He changed the relay and it has started fine since then.

Edit: Of course, that was after I made sure all safety switches were not the issue.
No, it makes no click. I can try that, but I don't think that would cause the running tractor to die.

The seat switch makes more sense, but once it's stopped, PTO is disengaged, and front and rear transmissions are in neutral, it should crank. It doesn't. I tried bypassing the seat switch to no effect.

PTO and transmission switches would explain why it won't start, but not why it died in the first place.

I'm struggling to find a single explanation for both the shutdown and the failure to crank.

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #8  
May be two unrelated things entirely. Anyone who has troubleshooted enough stuff knows of what I speak! lol

I have hit a key with a knee or stalled a tractor that wouldn't immediately start without taking out of gear and turning off the PTO. Just sayin.

So, it does still sound like a solenoid issue or safety circuit. I have had fuses for safety circuits blow for NO APPARENT REASON AT ALL.

I fixed my old JD 770 now owned by a neighbor, last summer. Tractor died. Solenoid fuse blew. New fuse only helped for a while. Solenoid was shorting out, probably drawing more current the hotter it got. Had to replace solenoid. All well now.

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #9  
I would check starter with a cable from a battery and if ok then look for why it is not getting current when turning the key. Isolate the lock out switches one at the time until you find the faulty one

/ Tractor ran fine, restarted normally, then died & won't start #10  
I can’t wait to find out what happened.