Tractor Research Over: Now the details

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
Back for more help. After a couple of months of rather thorough research, (including hours and hours reviewing posts on this forum) and countless visits with tractor salesmen at different dealers, and after carefully assessing my needs, etc. I have decided to order a Kubota B7800 with the LA402 FEL - with tooth bar. I was close to the L3130 or even the L3830, but really need something a bit smaller for some of the places I need to go, for the vehicle I have to pull it and a trailer with, and so on, and the B7800 seems like the best fit / combination. While I do have 90 acres, for the most part, the tractor will be used on about 5-8 acres of the property, mowing about 1+ acre max, with need to work my way around landscaping, trees, etc, and a B7800 will serve quite well for over 90% of my uses. Anyway, now that you have helped me reach the tractor decision, I am seeking recommendations on what implements best match up with a B7800. Because the dealer will only have a few brands (he mentioned Kubota / Woods and Gearmore), I am also interested in what brands to avoid. Of course, I can order separately if necessary, but am trying to package it all in one deal. So any advice re the following for a B7800 ?

A 48" rear rotary mower: Brands / options / which ones to avoid / expected cost ?

A utility post hole digger: Brands / options / expected cost ?
(9" and perhaps a 12" auger)

A 60" box blade with scarifers / no hydraulics: Brands / costs ? (dealer has Kubota / Woods / Gearmore)

And while I am not likely to get a back hoe now, I might, so same questions: brands / cost ?

I am also looking at my options for pallet forks - and yesterday saw some interesting Gearmore quick attach bucket forks which mount to existing buckets - will have to see if they work with the LA402.

Any help / comments will be much appreciated / and very much needed as will place order on Monday. . ..

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #2  
<font color="blue">…Kubota B7800 with the LA402 FEL… While I do have 90 acres…</font>

I think that’s a nice unit… but over the “long haul”… you are downsizing way too small… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That is a new leader B unit mainly for price… but for a few thousand more… I’d really consider something larger… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #3  
I agree with John on this one. That is a nice tractor, but you have absolutely no room to grow. Your only option would be to trade up and that would be more costly than getting the larger size now.

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #4  
I agree with the other guys that a bigger tractor would certainly be better, but I also understand that sometimes we have to settle for what we can afford (or at least I do). The next suggestion I would make is to forget the 48" rotary mower and get a 60" one instead. As far as brands, I don't know that I'd disqualify any; just that some are a little better, stronger, etc. than others, but they'll also cost more. And there are just too many brands available to list.

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details
Thanks for info. As I see it, the next step up would be a 3130 HST - and the bump would be about $3000-3200. I can afford the larger tractor (actually it doesn't amount to that much over the time I will be using it) and clearly had my mind up to get a 3130 (also looked for 3430 (none around) and at 3830). I am also content to wait a month or so when the harvest tractors retun, as inventories around here this time of year are at their absolute lowest. But when I looked at both sizes, I began to be concerned that there would be things that I could not do with the larger tractor but which I could do with the smaller one (both are 30hp - but a size difference) and assume that I can do at least 90-95% of contemplated tasks with the smaller one - even if take more time. For mowing, I am going to have to work in some areas where larger is not better and where more weight is not better. So, am trying to predict what will work best. While I can afford more, I tend to also think in terms of what else could I spend the difference in cost on. . . I have discussed my contemplated uses with dealers and that started me thinking about the B7800. . . I also thought about the cost of trailer and a different truck to haul it in the hills, and then, at that point, I was thinking that while I could afford that too, I just didn't want to go there as well. . And this from a guy who decided he would have an occasional need for a tractor and then started looking for a good 8N with a FEL. Anyway, I guess I will never be 100% certain, and do want to avoid "buyers remorse"

Well, got to run, will check in later, going out to cut some trees out where new road will go - hiring a bulldozer operator for that . . . he is coming by later, but I want to get the trees out of the way so he can see what I want done a bit clearer. Thanks for the help - it is immensely apprediated !

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #6  
Well, I don't want to just jump on the band wagon and agree with everyone else but in this case I have to. All of the thoughts you are having I had as well. But I trusted the advice of these people who have owned them for years, and im so glad I did. There are some VERY tight spaces that I have to work in, and I cannot believe the turning radius on these compacts. Get one a bit bigger, just an opinion. I don't think you will be sorry. Good luck with whatever you choose!!
-Brad

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #7  
monkeybreath,

I have a B2910...I must say if I were you I would got with a L3430 or L3830...

The reason is...because...the B7800 [or B2910] has a pretty good HP/lb ratio. IF you would go to a larger tractor, you might have less omph...now you also might not notice this, if you had not had that B7800 first...

The 7800 will not be a real great grass cutter anyway...as compared to a smaller BX, for example. Get a minimum 72" RFM...less makes it too difficult to cut close to fences and such...

Plan for the future...you got enough property...the B2910 suits me perfectly for under 4 acres...but if I had more I would certainly want a L3430 minimum...

Good luck in your decision...

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details
Thanks guys, I am listening but still . . . for example, Typhoon's TC29D is almost exactly the same size as the B7800 e.g., NH width = 54.3 and 7800 = 53.8 / length of NH = 106.2 with PTO and 7800 =99.2 without PTO / NH weighs about 733 lbs more though / NH PTO hp = 23.6 and 7800 = 22, so seems similar - am I missing something ? I do know that the 3130 weighs about twice as much as the B7800, but to get around in my landscaping and orchard, etc, I am still concerned, as well with the additional commttment to trailering and vehicle to tow it. Apparently I can tow a trailer with a 7800 with my existing truck. All of these are concerns, but I will reassess and think carefully about this.

By the way - during my chainsaw adventure today - had an accident requiring driving myself about 30 miles to ER and getting about 11 stiches -stupid accident with chain saw - my first ever accident up here in 17 years which required medical attention. Got care first from volunteer fire dept, then went on to hosp. Lots of blood so have to get things cleaned up before wife gets back - she took daughter over to coast today - makes me think it is not a good idea to do this kind of work when no one is around. Could have been much worse -

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #9  
You are gonna catch it when those ladies get home. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Tractor Research Over: Now the details #10  
Glad you were OK!

Probably a sign that you should get the 3130 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif