Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #21  
I had a car dealer try to pull that type of scam on me while I was in the process of switching everything over to the new vehicle. I politely told him to stuff his vehicle were the sun don,t shine. In hindsight, I should have talked to the owner of the dealership. Escalate your talks to the highest person at the dealership, and make it very clear to them that with to-days media available, news of this scam trying to be pulled by this dealership would not be well received in the surrounding community. Bottom line, they sold you the tractor as a 2021, they should compensate you as if it is a 2021, with zero debate. Worst case, if the salesman is still there that made this mistake, he should be made to absorb the difference in value, not you.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #22  
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. So last year I bought a Massey Ferguson 5711 D from a dealership. I am in Texas. It was advertised as a 2021 year model. I have bought several pieces of equipment from this dealership And have been very happy with their service until now. I am looking at selling them the tractor back to them and when I sent them the picture of the specifications plate the sales guy asked me how I came up with the year model. I informed him that it is what they sold it to me as. So comes to find out that it is actually a 2020 model. Manufactured in June 2020. On their website it was advertised as a 2021 and all of my paperwork on the transaction shows it as a 2021. So they are wanting to give me less money for it. I guess I am a little bit upset with the situation and do not know if I have any type of recourse. thanks for the help.
You have a 2020 model when purchasing parts - serial number determines that. It was purchased new in 2021. Used price will be determined by hours and condition of tractor. When selling you can advertised as 2020 model bought new in 2021. Price will only vary by someone that really knows very little about tractor models.
I purchased a Ford 1510 (new) in 1984. Ask dealer what year model it was and his answer "If I sell it to you in 1984 it is a 1984 model". My lifetime lesson in year model of tractors was etched in stone for me.
Bought a Workmaster 50 (new) in March 2016. All paperwork says 2016 - serial number says it was made in 2015.
Ordering parts you use serial number that says it was made in 2015.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
   / Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #23  
Either I've misread the situation, or a few of you have. He's not looking to get rid of the tractor because of this, he only found out because the dealer is offering him less money based on the tractor being a 2020 when it was sold to him as a 2021.
They cut him a deal because it didn't have the latest price increases when he purchased it new. Now if he insisted on a 2021 serial number they could have ordered him one with latest price increases and delivery date of 2022?

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #24  
I had a car dealer try to pull that type of scam on me while I was in the process of switching everything over to the new vehicle. I politely told him to stuff his vehicle were the sun don,t shine. In hindsight, I should have talked to the owner of the dealership. Escalate your talks to the highest person at the dealership, and make it very clear to them that with to-days media available, news of this scam trying to be pulled by this dealership would not be well received in the surrounding community. Bottom line, they sold you the tractor as a 2021, they should compensate you as if it is a 2021, with zero debate. Worst case, if the salesman is still there that made this mistake, he should be made to absorb the difference in value, not you.
Two different animals - Autos have a title listed model year. Tractor only has a bill of sell that is created by seller. You have to use VIN number on Auto for manufacture date and Serial Number on tractor for manufacture date.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #25  
Sorry, I don,t agree. Somehow, the seller supposedly mis-represented the tractor as a 2021 model year. Somewhere, I,m sure there is something equivalent to the black book used by the auto industry, which goes by year, options, condition etc. Why bother putting the year of the tractor on the bill of sale, if it doesn,t matter. Again, they sold him the tractor as a model year 2021, and the selling price was based on that, so that is the year the value of the trade in should be valued at. The salesman that sold him the tractor and wrote the bill up should take the fall, and be made to make up the difference in value. Have you ever noticed that these types of mistakes always work in the sellers favor ? Why is that, if they are actually honest mistakes ?

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #26  
You guys put too much value on the year bought vs mfg year.
Tractors that are mechanically sound with normal hours are worth what they cost new +-10%.
Beat up, torn seats, slop in linkage, lights don’t work, dents, peeling paint, etc reduce the value.
Maintenance records, shed kept, not abused are top resell.
Check auctions and compare sold prices to new cost. I did.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #27  
I would agree but when owner was looking to trade it became an issue of value from the very party that sold it new...

Can't really have it both ways and call it fair

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #28  
You have a 2020 model when purchasing parts - serial number determines that. It was purchased new in 2021. Used price will be determined by hours and condition of tractor. When selling you can advertised as 2020 model bought new in 2021. Price will only vary by someone that really knows very little about tractor models.
I purchased a Ford 1510 (new) in 1984. Ask dealer what year model it was and his answer "If I sell it to you in 1984 it is a 1984 model". My lifetime lesson in year model of tractors was etched in stone for me.
Bought a Workmaster 50 (new) in March 2016. All paperwork says 2016 - serial number says it was made in 2015.
Ordering parts you use serial number that says it was made in 2015.
Well you gotta build it to sell it and building could take all year....like you are still building them when somebody is selling them or you are building them for the next years market. Agree on the serial number if you need parts.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #29  
I think there is alot more information that none of us know.....and or answers to questions that can only be answered by the OP....who has only made this one post exactly a week ago, and has not been back to this forum since

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #30  
When I bought my first tractor for the farm I purchased for future retirement. It was on the lot as a 2002 Kubota L3720. When I retired, I wanted a cab so I traded it on a L5740. Deal was all done and when I looked at the paperwork, the dealer listed the trade-in as a 2001 (he had looked up the serial number). Condition and model was their concern. Then I traded the 5740 on a L6060. Once again the dealer looked up the serial number after the deal was done and the paperwork shows one year older than the year in which I bought it. The L6060 later went on a M5-111. I knew in this case it was a 2021 although I took delivery in 2022 because of tax reasons I had bought it and drove in on the lot December 28, 2021. This is the only one of which I was concerned about how old. Since DEF, systems have been continually updated. However, Kubota doesn't advertise model year or serial number. I got the info on my tractor from shop guys telling me I got a good one - it came in with the latest DEF components so no updating needed.