Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Today, I went into our local TSC in Bowie, Tx and found that they have this deer corn brand - 40 lb on sale for $7.99 instead of the normal $8.99 price. The online ad says $8.49, but the store had a notice that the sale at the reduced price begins today and runs for a week or two. I forgot to write down the end date. TSC also sells another brand of deer corn for $7.99, but it is only 37 lb instead of 40. They also sell whole corn 50 lb for $10.99, but that is about $0.02 per pound more than the $7.99 corn. With this year's midwest drought, I'd say this is a good time to stock up before the prices go up.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #2  
I have 5 acres I am contemplating selling to deer hunters or just combining and selling..... Prices are way up there.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #3  
Today, I went into our local TSC in Bowie, Tx and found that they have this deer corn brand - 40 lb on sale for $7.99 instead of the normal $8.99 price. The online ad says $8.49, but the store had a notice that the sale at the reduced price begins today and runs for a week or two. I forgot to write down the end date. TSC also sells another brand of deer corn for $7.99, but it is only 37 lb instead of 40. They also sell whole corn 50 lb for $10.99, but that is about $0.02 per pound more than the $7.99 corn. With this year's midwest drought, I'd say this is a good time to stock up before the prices go up.

Are the 37 and 40# not whole corn?

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale
Are the 37 and 40# not whole corn?

Yep! They are whole corn. I said the 50# bag was whole corn to differentiate it from the 50# cracked corn used for chicken feed and also sold at TSC. To my knowledge all deer corn is whole corn.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #5  
some of the mixes this year have cracked corn, that's what I'm hearing on the hunting forums anyway. Corn prices have gone up so fast, everyone is looking for the next best thing.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #6  
I think there is a good chance corn prices may come down this fall. Those getting into the fields now are getting a pleasant surprise. Genetics has made the plant a little more drought resistant than originally thought.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #7  
Yep, corn and bean prices have fallen. Early yields are better than expected. Around here, corn is paying about $7.17 a bushel. Down at least $0.50 a bushel. Might want to buy from the local elevator if you can store it. A bushel of shelled corn weighs 56 pounds. A 40 pound bag at $8.00 a bag is $0.20 per pound.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #8  
If you are using the corn strictly to feed deer for hunting purposes, here is what I've been doing to overcome the high corn price. I found an apple cider company near me, they grind the apples then press the juice from the ground apples. What remains is called apple pomace, or "pummies", and is great for deer and turkey feeding. I get a 10,000 GVWR dump trailer filled for about $25.00. The pummies will not work in a feeder and are simply dumped in a pile.

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale #9  
Thanks for the tip Jim. I tend to avoid Tractor Supply, but every now and then they come up with a great deal!!!

Eddie

/ Tractor Supply Deer Corn Sale
Thanks for the tip Jim. I tend to avoid Tractor Supply, but every now and then they come up with a great deal!!!

Eddie

Yep, the problem with TSC is that the stores are all different and staffed by people who may be helpful or less than helpful. Our Bowie store is great. It has nice people and they are always ready to help find something in their very well stocked store. On the other hand, I'm less than enamored of the Decatur store. I tell the people in the Bowie store how much I enjoy shopping there over the Decatur store all the time.

When I was buying the deer corn, I didn't notice weight on the bag and went to the register with the 37 lb bags for $7.99. The clerk told me that the 40 lb bags were on sale for the same price and I went back and got them. If not for the clerk, I'd have missed the better deal. Also, the last three times in a row that I've been to TSC in Bowie, I load my car/truck with the stuff I've bought and head back into the store with my cart. All three times, the clerk has met me outside the door and taken my basket without me having to go back inside. Of course, they aren't super busy, but even so, it makes a difference and says something about customer service. I feel really lucky to have our store.

I know you don't like Walmart corn at all. I also did not like the "powder puff" Moultrie corn they sold. The last few bags of that I bought really filled my feeder with dust. The Bowie Walmart has now changed to the same brand of corn as TSC. I suspect they got so many complaints that they changed. Even so, TSC has been offering their bags of the same corn at $8.49 while Walmart is $8.97. It's obvious our TSC is ready to compete with the "500 lb gorilla" at the other end of town.:)