3-Point Hitch Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
Unlike a tractor rear/center drawbar, Photo #8, which is attached directly to the tractor frame/chassis, a tractor cross-drawbar, Photo #1, mounts through the "bullseyes" integral to the left and right Lower Links of the Three Point Hitch. An inexpensive fitting, known as a drawbar lock, Photo #2, couples the cross-drawbar and one Lower Link to prevent the cross-drawbar from twisting/turning on its axis. Alternately to a drawbar lock, a substantial vertical component, Photos #3 - #6, is bolted to the cross drawbar, adding a Top Link connection and a receiver hitch at the base. A third option is an integrated, triangulated cross-drawbar, Photo #7, which includes a Top Link connection. Option three is the high value hardware.

A cross-drawbar allows elevation of towed logs, trees or railroad ties using Three Point Hitch hydraulic power. With 4" to 6" of elevation loads towed on the ground are unlikely to encounter obstructions stall the tractor or, much worse, drive the tractor vertical if the operator in not alert.
(I once had a Deere 750 vertical, towing timbers from the rear/center drawbar.)
With logs and trees elevated, less of the load is in ground contact, decreasing friction of the load against the ground and preventing the dragged load from plowing dirt. In some circumstances elevation permits heavier loads to be pulled.

The disadvantage of a cross-drawbar is its integration with the Three Point Hitch, a weaker connection point than the tractor frame/chassis. In imprudent operator could damage the Three Point Hitch with imprudent loads or imprudent operation. With loads in shear to a 20" to 30" cross-drawbar substantial strain is placed on perforated, mild steel bar. Most cross-drawbars in use for some time show distortion but remain functional; mine included.

Cross-drawbar loads pulled with load center-of-mass above rear axle height may induce tractor instability. My L3560 compact tractor is heavy for its size and my loads prudent. Tractor instability due to a moderately elevated load has never been an issue in my experience.

Using a Cross-drawbar to pull or push a two wheeled cart or two wheeled implement can be dangerous. The Three Point Hitch does not include a latch to prevent instantaneous Lower Links and cross-drawbar rise, potentially upsetting the load and injuring assistant(s). Hazardous rise may occur as a cart is loaded or unloaded, as cart load is moved in forward or reverse, or if someone steps on rear of the load, shifting weight distribution to the rear.

You will find reference to using chains or such to limit vertical movement of Lower Links for such loads.
[Credit: KTHOMPSON
]

Cross-drawbars are readily available, sized for Category 1 and Category 2 Three Point Hitches in various widths. Cross-drawbars accept accessory clevis and bolt-on installations. Several are visible in photos.

The advantage of the rear/center drawbar, Photo #8, is its fixed attachment to the tractor frame/chassis, the strongest connection possible. On my Kubota L3560 the rear/center drawbar is always in place. The rear/center drawbar does not interferes with Three Point Hitch implements nor the mounted cross-drawbar.

Photo #3 ~ Omni Mfg., LLC, Deerwood, MN Combo Draw Bar Trailer vertical component. (2/2012)
LINK: Combo Hitches - OMNI Mfg LLC

Photo #4 ~ Triangle Hitch
LINK: 3 point hitch drawbar in Heavy Equipment, Parts & Attachments | eBay

Google Images: tractor cross drawbar - Google Search

ROPS folded because I was working in Florida jungle, rife with vines.

Attachments

• DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 526
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 492
  • DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 786
  • DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 2,592
  • 86545.jpg
    86545.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 672
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.01.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.01.02 AM.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 685
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.06.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.06.48 AM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,175
Last edited:
   / Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #2  
You did a decent job I think but think some other points are needed. Using the "cross drawbar" (never heard them called that but terms makes sense. Only heard "lift arm" drawbar.) can be dangerous with load on wheels. That includes trailers or wheeled implements. The lift arms do not have the ability to prevent drawbar from raising in a split second. This can happen as a trailer is loaded or unload, as load is moved or even a person walking from from of trailer to the rear or stepping on rear of trailer. This sudden tilting action can cause a person to loose balance, major issue backing a trailer as it or load can dig into the dirt, or load being damaged or lost and even damage to the lift and trailer.

You will find reference to using chains or such to limit vertical movement for such loads.

One other issue with that drawbar is often you will want to pull the typical pin hitch trailer or implement as so quick to use and easy as you can use the lift to come to the hitch level rather than just jack to raise or lower the implement hitch to adjust to fixed drawbar. The issue is a tractor can make rather sharp turns and so easy to turn sharp enough putting the hitch in a bind bending and damaging the trailer or implement hitch.

Totally agree with pulling such as logs lifting the towed end is a great advantage just want the tractor stability for rearing up. Do not try jerking a load to move it will lift raised as damage to the lift is possible but picking front end clear and lose of such as steering and maybe rear roll over is possible. But using sense and paying careful attention the lifting of the load for drug items can be a great help.

As to bent drawbars, have only even seen that happen by wrapping a chain around drawbar without use of clevis and the drawbar rotates so the flat side is vertically and not horizon as it is designed to be used. For years I seldom saw a fixed drawbar used but once I began using implements on wheels pulled by fix drawbar hardly ever use the cross drawbar. The fixed drawbar is much more stable as it prevents shifting. But if pulling logs or trees, it will be what I use to pick the load so it does not dig into the dirt.

Tractor great tools with all the options they have such as the fixed and lift arm drawbar option. Reason paying attention and thinking is so important to keep tractor and load important but much more important the operator and anyone around safe.

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #3  
Tractor great tools with all the options they have such as the fixed and lift arm drawbar option. Reason paying attention and thinking is so important to keep tractor and load important but much more important the operator and anyone around safe.
I would add to that: And knowing when a bigger tractor would be the right tool for the job.

Sure, most of us have gotten away with doing big jobs with small tractors over the years, but common sense should always prevail.....

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #4  
Jeff,
Can you rotate your smiling cross drawbar 180 degrees (upside down for a frown) then use it/abuse it like you did before to straighten it?

Yep, as mentioned, if pulling a trailer with a cross draw bar, you want a LOT of extra tongue weight so 3 pth doesn't pop up. And don't forget about that when shifting load when unloading; or when you're backing up and 3 pth can pop up if trailer tires encounter an obstacle.

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS
Today is a tractor maintenance day. I may reverse the cross-drawbar today, along with blowing mower debris off the tractor, fueling and greasing. I will have my tools handy.

I would add to that: And knowing when a bigger tractor would be the right tool for the job.

And knowing when a HEAVIER tractor WITH GREATER INERTIA would be the right tool for the job.

Sorry, I could not resist.

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #7  
The lift arms do not have the ability to prevent drawbar from raising in a split second. This can happen as a trailer is loaded or unload, as load is moved or even a person walking from from of trailer to the rear or stepping on rear of trailer. This sudden tilting action can cause a person to loose balance, major issue backing a trailer as it or load can dig into the dirt, or load being damaged or lost and even damage to the lift and trailer.

You will find reference to using chains or such to limit vertical movement for such loads.

Some set-up use hard links from the drawbar to the top link connector on the tractor.
Drawbar1.jpg

For many many years growing up we used this type of draw bar on our 8N till we finally added the frame mounted drawbar kit.
Here's a "borrowed" image from the web similar to what we had. 3pt lift arms, anti-sway bars, and "anti-lift bars" (Ours is/was bent more. :D )
Drawbar2.jpg

Another thing to be noted for the novice, if you are using a drop pin style hitch instead of a ball hitch you should NOT use the drawbar lock. Drop pin style hitches lack the ability to rotate up & down when traversing hilly terrain like a ball hitch can. Thus the Inherent ability for the bar to rotate in the lift arms is required.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #8  
The major problem with the lift arm drawbars is they are strong (sort of) in one direction but weak in the other direction.

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #9  
As to bent drawbars, have only even seen that happen by wrapping a chain around drawbar without use of clevis and the drawbar rotates so the flat side is vertically and not horizon as it is designed to be used.

Sheepishly raising hand and alluding that I may have first hand knowledge of such a thing.

With loads perpendicular to a 20" to 30" cross-drawbar substantial strain is placed on perforated, mild steel bar. Most cross-drawbars in use for some time show distortion but remain functional; mine included.

I speculate mild steel is used for cross-drawbars so they bend, gently, rather than fail catastrophically under a heavy load.