Tractor "Tiers"

/ Tractor "Tiers" #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
I see on here from time to time people mentioning "Tier 3" , "Tier 4 " tractors. Could someone explain that one to me. Was there a 1 and 2 also? Thanks

/ Tractor "Tiers" #2  
I see on here from time to time people mentioning "Tier 3" , "Tier 4 " tractors. Could someone explain that one to me. Was there a 1 and 2 also? Thanks

The Tiers refer to the pollution control levels the tractors must meet. With tier 4 final being the current set of specifications of the emissions of the tractors. This has been going on for many years, and all new 2014 models over 25 horsepower must meet the tier 4 final spec.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #3  
tractor dot com has a pretty good article on the emission tier progression.

/ Tractor "Tiers"
Thanks guys

/ Tractor "Tiers" #5  
I would think that "Tier 4" would cause the value of, prior to 2014, used, 4-wheel drive, tractors to skyrocket. One things for sure, they would give you significantly more hp per the dollar. I am so glad that I bought my "new one" back in 2005.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #6  
As I understand there are only two options for tier 4, one you put some kind of fluid in that the tractor uses....it is about the same price as fuel. The other option is some kind of EGR/scrubber....and that will need to be replaced after X hours....and that is not cheap.

My question is....knowing the people that buy tractors are the....cough....handy with tools....cough type.

What happens if you don't put in the fluid....or put in some other type of fluid.
What happens if you bypass the EGR system.

Wonder if the greenies ever thought about that....or the people that design the systems.

You know it is going to happen.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #7  
SCR tech used to pass tier 4B (tier 4 final) specs allows the tractor company to focus on building the most powerful, efficient engines. Tier 4A (tier 4 interim) allowed tractor companies to use an EGR valve be added to existing engine designs and pass emissions but at the cost of efficiency. Thus one of the big pushes by tier 4B compliant OEMs is advertising the lower operating costs of running their brand because of the more efficient tier 4B engines.

The reason everybody doesn't have tier 4 yet comes down to the cost and time to develop new engine programs.

Massey's advertising CVT transmissions and tier 4B is where the world of tractors seems to be heading.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #8  
So far it doesn't seem that any of the size tractors that most of us us the CUT size use the DEF (Deisel Exhaust Fluid). So given that the equipment is already in place on these new Tier 4 tractors and paid for by the owner, I don't think many of the owners are going to try to disassemble the equipment or bypass it in any way. The new engines in these tractors do not seem to be lacking for power and have the added benefit of lower exhaust emissions. The only downside seems to be the added cost.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #9  
I found a video that explains exactly how SCR works that is interesting.

/ Tractor "Tiers" #10  
I agree.

Remember, the Tier 4 mandate has been in place for several years now for on road equipment. So, there is millions of miles of experience with the technologies in use.

Yes, all of this stuff can be bypassed or disabled. There is an aftermarket to do so. But any of the diesel forums I've visited don't indicate to me a clear advantage for doing so and most of these "kits" seem cost prohibitive for a diesel engine in a CUT.

Service of the DPF is many hours down the road. I some case's I've seen 5000 hours or more. I'll probably be long gone before I get 5000 hours on my tractor.:laughing:

I am glad I've got a Tier 3 tractor. But, if I were shopping tractors right now, I'd buy the tractor I liked and fit my budget without regard if it was Tier 3 or 4.

So far it doesn't seem that any of the size tractors that most of us us the CUT size use the DEF (Deisel Exhaust Fluid). So given that the equipment is already in place on these new Tier 4 tractors and paid for by the owner, I don't think many of the owners are going to try to disassemble the equipment or bypass it in any way. The new engines in these tractors do not seem to be lacking for power and have the added benefit of lower exhaust emissions. The only downside seems to be the added cost.