Tractor tire types; advantages and disadvantages.

/ Tractor tire types; advantages and disadvantages. #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
I have a Kubota L5740 it has 475/65/D20 grass tyres that need replacement. I would like a more robust tyre as seldom used on lawns. Struggling to find anything but grass tyres to fit. A advice welcome.
In Scotland UK

Scotland is a wet part of the UK.

Tall R1/agricultural tires will give your tractor the best traction running over moist / wet soil. R1 tires are almost always the choice for 2-WD tractors. R1 tires are almost always 4-ply. The flexibility of 4-ply construction improves traction. R1 tires are the least desirable tire to run over the road. R1 tires vibrate and wear rapidly on the road. R1 tires are usually the cheapest tractor tire choice.

R14 tires are a new design in the last five years. The tread pattern falls mid-way between R1 and R4 treads.

R4/industrial tires. Usually 6-ply rear tires, 6 to 10 ply front tires to support heavy FEL loads. Best tractor tires for highway travel.
Poor tire selection when traction is needed pulling over mud or wet soil. I live in a part of Florida where mud is never a factor. Most tractors in Florida are equipped with R4 / industrial tires.
R4 tires are more expensive than R1 tires.

/ Tractor tire types; advantages and disadvantages. #2  
Scotland is a wet part of the UK. True, but rather like saying Death Valley is a dry part of the desert. :)

/ Tractor tire types; advantages and disadvantages. #3  
R1 4 ply is your softest riding and best traction......BTDT