Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher?

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I'm making a mount for one on my tractor and wonder what to look for and the size (weight). I've got 4 around the house/shop ABC type and rechargable, but basically $35 home cheapo units. On the tractor & truck, I know you usually only get one shot to save things from a complete burn down. Looking for some advice from maybe a firefighter on the type, size, & brand if that matters.:thumbsup:

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #2  
I put out an carb fire on a 1970 something Olds Delta 88 with a couple cans of beer. Saw smoke coming out from around the hood. Stopped and started to call the FD but saw 5 cans left from a six pack of tall boys in the floorboard. Grabbed two and shook one up. Opened the hood and cracked it right at the fire. Did the other one just for good measure but the first one put the fire out.

Funny thing is the car started right back up and drove on to where I was going about two miles away.

You will still probably want to go with a real 'fire extinguisher'.

TBS

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher?
You & I are on a roll this eve George:thumbsup: Do you think there is a "brand" difference? I also read somewhere that the dry ABC's can get compacted or settle over time. Pounding on a tractor might really add to this if this is a real thing.:confused3:

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #5  
A many tractor fires occur when the operator pushes the FEL in the burn pile too far and leaves it in too long when dumping.

It is fairly easy to burn through a hydraulic hose and have flaming hydraulic fluid under pressure flying everywhere.

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #6  
I check mine monthly by turning it upside down. In a few seconds you feel a thud as the powder inside drops. Also check the gauge and pull pin.
Not sure of the brand I currently have but I was buying Kidde through my F.E. service company we use at work. Now that I retired I'll find another source though they will be more expensive. Amazon prices didn't seem too bad.

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #7  
I put out an carb fire on a 1970 something Olds Delta 88 with a couple cans of beer. Saw smoke coming out from around the hood. Stopped and started to call the FD but saw 5 cans left from a six pack of tall boys in the floorboard. Grabbed two and shook one up. Opened the hood and cracked it right at the fire. Did the other one just for good measure but the first one put the fire out.

Funny thing is the car started right back up and drove on to where I was going about two miles away.

You will still probably want to go with a real 'fire extinguisher'.

TBS

I was going to install an extinguisher, but now I'm going to install a cooler. If I survive the day without a fire, I'll have cold beer. Either way, I'll have to restock tomorrow so I know it's fresh and won't have to worry about the chemicals settling.

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #8  
I was going to install an extinguisher, but now I'm going to install a cooler. If I survive the day without a fire, I'll have cold beer. Either way, I'll have to restock tomorrow so I know it's fresh and won't have to worry about the chemicals settling.

Sounds like a smart plan! :drink::drink::drink:

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #9  
So the firefighter answer is a 2A10BC (5lb) with a metal head. The 2A10BC is the amount of fire an extinguisher will put out and the metal head is a more quality head and it can be recharged. You can go bigger or smaller than this but this is the standard size you will see in all public buildings. The smaller size is only a few bucks cheaper and pits out a lot less fire. So if you have the room go with this size. This type of extinguisher is filled with a powder ("dry chem") so it will leave a mess but on a tractor it can be washed off.
If you are doing welding or something in a dry area the water extinguisher is the way to go. The dry chem doesn't do much in a brush fire plus the water extinguisher can be refilled with water and an air compressor.

Don't tell anyone I told you this- job security!

/ Tractor/ vehicle what's a good fire extinguisher? #10  

Cop answer!