Tractor Sizing TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #81  
Depending how the forces are directed with a three point hitch and a full bucket there can be distinct traction gain.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION
Depending how the forces are directed with a three point hitch and a full bucket there can be distinct traction gain.
In the interest of tractor safety, please expand on this assertion.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #83  
If you test drive this tractor it just might
be the one for you.

willy

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #84  
Now you are going to get the resident army of theorists riled up. Not worth it. Some of us get it, some never will.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #85  
I have read most of Jeff’s educational posts and found them to offer sage advice. You have to do the work and have or acquire some level of knowledge if you expect to make a sound decision on the best tractor and attachments to achieve your goals.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #86  
In the interest of tractor safety, please expand on this assertion.

No assertion. Just plain reality. All that is required is a down force on the three point whatever it’s position.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #87  
Now you are going to get the resident army of theorists riled up. Not worth it. Some of us get it, some never will.

It’s surprising how much a 16 hp tractor with hydro can pull with a weighted bucket and downward force on the three point.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #88  
And don't forget that most of these tractors now have power at all 4 wheels. You take a little tractor, add a bunch of weight to the rear, and the front wheels are useless for steering and traction. Put an FEL on it or front weights, it brings the fronts back on the ground where they can engage the dirt, add to the pulling power, and allow you to steer without having to use the rear turning brakes.

I had an IH2500b for over a decade. 8000#+ tractor loader. Rear wheel drive only. It was not a good machine for traction in our sandy soil.

I had a forester come out to plant the sand dunes with trees. He had a small Ford tractor with front wheel assist and weights on the front. He had zero problems navigating the sand while pulling his tree planter.

There's a balance between bare weight, additional weight, weight distribution, traction, flotation, soil conditions, etc.

Too much emphasis on bare weight, in my opinion.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION
The Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939. Patents on the Three Point Hitch and TPH hydraulic controls expired in 1955. Since 1955 (66 years) all traditional compact tractors have been designed and produced around the Ferguson Three Point Hitch, worldwide.

The traditional Three Point Hitch tractor design is generic.

Last edited:
   / TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #90  
Let's try this to see if we can draw out some substance.
Weight beats HP in most situations. It definitely adds to stability, especially weight plus wider width. Weight provides traction and allows the tractor to pull dirt and gravel moving blades without tire spinning and sliding. Usually I run out of traction before HP.