Tractor weight vs. finish mowing

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #1  

mo1

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5075E
I will shortly be moving to about a dozen-acre piece of property with about an acre of "horsey" areas that need rough cut, eventually about two acres of mowed-weeds lawn, a good-sized garden I'll till with a borrowed 3 pt tiller and the rest is trees, some of which I might clear out. I got a lot of good advice about what kind of a tractor to get on a previous thread and I thank you all for the input. The one question I came up with that I can't really find an answer to despite lots of searching on TBN is how heavy of a tractor is too heavy for finish mowing? The reason I ask is that the weight of compact 4wd tractors in the 25ish PTO HP range I am looking at range from about 1750 pounds (Kubota B series) to over 3000 pounds (Kioti CK series) for the tractor alone. I'll be getting R3s on whatever tractor I do buy as it will be required to do all of the tasks mentioned above and I'll not be doing any major ag work to require R1s. I'll preemptively strike and say a ZTR in addition to a tractor isn't an option for several very good reasons including my wife's input. I'll also be getting a loader and likely running a 72" rear finish mower as well, so add about 1000 pounds to the tractor weight. I'd probably leave the loader on to act as a counterweight to the mower on a tractor this little based on experience with larger tractors with heavier 3 pt implements. (I would scoop up a bucketful of dirt in the loader to counterweight a 3000 pound 3 pt field cultivator on a ~7000 pound 80 hp utility tractor to be able to still steer in turns when I raised the cultivator off the ground.)

So, how heavy of a tractor have you guys used and not had bad problems with lawn rutting or how heavy was "too heavy" for you for finish mowing? Mind you the lawn is mowed weeds right now and eventually I'd like to get that to "more grass than weeds" but it's never going to be a golf course-quality sodded lawn and I FULLY accept that. I also very well am aware of the "buy the next size up" advice based on my family's experience with tractors. My Dad "graduated" from a ~50 engine HP tractor to a 125 hp unit and went through another 80 hp unit somebody got a good deal on in the process. I want to know if buying that next size up is going to cause me any additional issues other than financial :D

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #2  
I have mowed for years with a Kioti DK 35 ( I take the loader off) and 7' rear finish mower .
Works fine.

Last edited:
   / Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #3  
Recently I used my LS P7010 (about 10,000 pounds with loader and loaded tires) to mow my back pasture that has some type of yellow flowering weed that I wanted to clip off. I had the skids sliding on the ground and it still was over 4" high. It took me better than an hour and I didn't get behind some trees very well. 3 days later all the weeds were flowering again so I just took my Ferris ZTR over, raised the deck to 3" to get above some of the rocks and cut it including the stuff behind the trees in 45 minutes. The ZTR did a much better job and took less time, no rutting either. It would have to be a very rough area for not being able to cut with a mower. If it can be cut with a tractor and finish mower it can be cut with a lawn mower.

I have 11 1/4 acres and routinely mow about 6 acres of it in lawn. The rest is in cow pasture and creek and does occasionally get the mower treatment
I wouldn't try to mow an area where saplings had been growing and were cut off with a bush hog as they could damage the shafts but any grass or weeds is fair game.

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #4  
I went thru a similar issue. I have a golf fairway type lawn. No weeds.. subdivision type. Recently, replaced a 1100 lb simplicity with a K B3350 at about 2500 lb with 60" mmm and rear PTO catcher. Wanted cab and 4 WD for short 25 degree hill . Also have K L39 @7000lbs for several years. Driving L39 and turning noticable damages the grass that takes a month or so to recover. Have cut with the B just 3 times. (New this winter) Straight ways are fine. Turning in 2wd , occasionally mares the sod. Learning to turn shallower. Doing my hill, up and down, the 4wd does fine for traction, but I need to return to 2wd to avoid serious damage..2-3 month growth repair. Its a plow-forward-dig of the front tires kind of damage. For either machine, if ground is recently wet, grid imprinting occurs. Have turf tires on both. My Simplicity rarely caused grass damage except when I lost traction with 2 WD. Thought the 4wd and cab would fix everything. I spent a lot of money to trade problems. Unloaded air pressure in rear tires helped. But in the WINTER with the cab, I'm much happier!

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing
So you're saying try to keep it under 2500 pounds? How do you like that B3350 by the way, that was one model on my list.

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #6  
Unless you live in a bog, I wouldn't worry about it. I use a 6' finish mower behind my Ford 2600. That old tractor weighs about 3500#, and it doesn't have turf tires. It's never been a problem.

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #7  
Bigger tractors typically have bigger tires too. So that said, I doubt you would see an appreciable difference in anything the sizes you mentioned.

And take the loader off. Rfm's are lighter and in close. Shouldn't have a bit of trouble when raised. When mowing though, the weight is on the ground, and the fel adds a bunch of weight to the small front tires. And that makes it easy to cause damage to a lawn.

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #8  
Moved for years with an MF 1045 roughly 3500 lbs, ag tires, plus loader(sometime removed) and an woods rm90. If it was wet there were issues, and tight turns there were issues, other than that it aw fine especially for pastures

/ Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #9  
Ld1, thanks, I have released the bucket but I cut the grass with the loader still on. I'll take it off for the next cut.
Mo1, as mentioned, the weight per tire foot print is beyond my data access. As far as how I like the machine, it seems very well engineered and built. I had a bad / failed glow plug in the tier4 dpf causing some initial issues. Dealer found and fixed. Note , B3350 is just at 19 hours on the clock. I pushed my 6' bucket from my L39 through the snow with it and worked great and I was cozy inside.

Addition / correction. My b3350 is more like 3300lbs with fel ( no bucket_) , 60 " mmm and grass collection on rear.

Last edited:
   / Tractor weight vs. finish mowing #10  
I have a CCY SX3100 i would say weighting in at about 2250 lbs. I remove the loader for mowing. It has r4 tires on it. Personally i would not want any bigger of a tractor for mowing. In some spots on my lawn that stays damp most of the time i end up leaving in prints of the tires. Any heavier i think i would leave ruts. If your property is high and dry you should be able to get away with a heavier unit. Only time will tell what works for you.If i left the loader on i would do alot more damage while turning.