Tractor Will Not Start

/ Tractor Will Not Start #11  
My 7260 had the same starting problem that got worse over time until it just puffed gray smoke while cranking. I used a multimeter to check the voltage of the glow plug bus bar when turning the key to "on". Since I had power there, I installed 3 NGK 6628 glow plugs which solved my problem. The glow plugs do not cross reference to Mitsubishi, but fit without a problem. They are MUCH cheaper at $8 a plug.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #12  
Take air filter out. Spray in where air filter was with wd40. See if it fires off. Try not to use starting fluid that ain't good on these diesel engines.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #13  
In a heated garage the glow plugs shouldn't be an issue,
not getting fuel could be mechanical outside the injector pump.
Open the throttle up at least halfway, make sure the stop solenoid is opening,
preferably if you can operate the linkage manually open and close try to start it with the stop fully in both directions.
Also since you replaced a clutch you could try tow starting it, as long as you know the clutch will release and the brakes work.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #14  
Ant chance there is something mechanically wrong with it and there was a problem beyond the clutch. The “clang” could be something not related to the clutch.

/ Tractor Will Not Start
We are beginning to lean in the direction of something else being mechanically wrong. The clutch was a problem so we didn't waste our time there. One of the three clutch fingers that contact the throw out bearing had lost it's adjustment height bolt and it fell down into the housing. The throw out bearing was only contacting two fingers. That's been corrected. One odd thing that I noticed when we had the flywheel off was that there are no timing marks on the flywheel. The only mark I saw on the flywheel was a horizontal sharpie mark that someone put there with a pen. Odd isn't it???? Now when we put the flywheel back on we paid no attention to where that mark on the flywheel was. Probably a mistake but that should not change anything, right?? Only if in the future you had to find TDC would that be a problem. You would have to pull the valve cover and set the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke and then mark the flywheel thru the sight window and that would only be approximate and not exact. So again, am I right or wrong there? Did we somehow change injection timing? We did have to turn the engine a lot using the nut on the pulley at the front of the engine to seat the pilot on the front end of the shaft that goes through the clutch arrangement. Back to the possible mechanical problem. My neighbor is really hard on his equipment. I am quite sure he doesn't keep up on his maintenance of the machine. Yesterday he mentioned that when the tractor quit on him it really made a lot of banging and crunching noises. The engine does turn freely. That is obvious because we were turning it to align the clutch shaft. Per the info from LouNY in his post we will try what he mentioned. My neighbor is really getting discouraged as time goes by and now he is talking about trying to find another engine. Probably a rebuild if we could find one. Anyone know of a supplier??

/ Tractor Will Not Start #16  
Isn’t the injection pump driven by something internally? I wouldn’t think what you did messed up the timing but I'm not sure. I assume this is mechanically injected and not a common rail setup? Might be time to pull the valve cover and have a peak.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #17  
I think if the flywheel was only supposed to be bolted on one way, the bolt pattern would have been "staggered" to prevent putting it on wrong.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #18  
Each glow plug will read low ohms, like 10 or less.
Be sure to disconnect each one from the buss bar that joins them and read from connection to ground.
Also if you cycle the plugs each one should feel warm to touch for a very basic go/no go test.
X2 on this test

/ Tractor Will Not Start
I think my neighbor is getting ready to pull the front gear case cover on the engine. He thinks there may have been some damage done to the fuel injection cam or the gear. He says there was too much noise from the sound of things breaking for it to be something simple.

/ Tractor Will Not Start #20  
I was going by post #1 "It cranks well and puts out a puff of smoke but will not start. He says there was somewhat of a problem of this nature even before we did the clutch work but it would start."
Sounds like noise occurred after clutch work.
Wouldn't hurt to check glow plugs.