Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,571  
Depending on where and who’s ground you’re cutting on out here back strapping in front of the wrong manager can get you sent home. Is there a time and place to do them yes but it also places a lot of tension on the back of the stump that can rip out with a gust wind. I remember when I broke in under some of the old growth guys the saying was it’s just hardwood chair it out and with our Alder out here you look at it wrong it’ll chair out. We also fall a lot with what’s called a lead so you will fall stuff 90 degrees or so from a lean. You say soft faces Dutchman that’s an interesting topic I’m not sure how that would be fine able by OHSA being it still uses full hinge there’s no by pass cut made it’s just cuts into the stump as reliefs.
I am by no means trying to claim that GOL is the only way to address every situation. I don't cut the big stuff in the Pacific NW, nor am I ever likely to. I don't presume to say I know the best techniques to take down a 4+ ft diameter tree in a tough situation. Around here, I have little use for that knowledge.

I may have misspoken with the "soft dutchman" comment. What I meant to refer to was any technique that requires you to remain at the stump while the tree is falling as you make cuts to redirect the fall. The OSHA and insurance folks have a cow about that sort of thing, which is why you don't see it taught in any of the Logger Certification classes out here (though I'm sure there are plenty of people who actually use those techniques here.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,572  
Watched all the Husky video on felling. Good video but it needed to be 20 minutes long instead of 45. I have never really had anybody to teach me this stuff. My biggest savior is I hate the sight of my own blood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,573  
Yeah, that's series of videos is long. If you've used a chainsaw and done a bit of filling before a lot of it you might already know.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,574  
How about the best way to start a saw. I broke a handle on one trying to start one with my foot through the handle method. I was never comfortable holding it between my legs like guy in the video. There is probably a bunch of reasons not to but I drop start mine.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,575  
How about the best way to start a saw. I broke a handle on one trying to start one with my foot through the handle method. I was never comfortable holding it between my legs like guy in the video. There is probably a bunch of reasons not to but I drop start mine.

I drop start but I’m on the west coast where we run run bars for this application it’s safer as well as easier on your back.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,576  
I drop start, always have.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,577  
The biggest danger with drop starting is that most people hold the top handle andit tends to twist in your hand, driving the bar
toward /into your leg. I watched my father cut himself that way when I was a kid and have never forgotten it.
I sometimes drop start a flooded saw by setting the brake and holding the throttle open. It's still not the best way as you can bounce the tip off something... especially when you're tired. Yet it works. Just remember to make sure that the brake is set, the path is clear... and your life insurance is paid up.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,578  
The biggest danger with drop starting is that most people hold the top handle andit tends to twist in your hand, driving the bar
toward /into your leg. I watched my father cut himself that way when I was a kid and have never forgotten it.
I sometimes drop start a flooded saw by setting the brake and holding the throttle open. It's still not the best way as you can bounce the tip off something... especially when you're tired. Yet it works. Just remember to make sure that the brake is set, the path is clear... and your life insurance is paid up.

If you’re drop starting your right hand should be on the pistol grip the whole time. To help with what you’re talking about set the saw bar on a log or something of that nature release the brake then pull with your left hand.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,579  
I drop start too. Shame on me, but I learned from watching my dad...

But..... drop start using the top handle? Really? THAT is weird. Haha.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,580  
I also drop start, always have, and yes with my left hand on the top handle, pull cord with my right... that's just the way I do it. Older saw, less compression than the pro saws, whatever the reason it doesn't rotate. My bigger saw I lock the rear handle into my thigh.