Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,031  
IMG_0267.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,032  
And to think after all these years I never noticed that my thumbs have one less joint than my fingers. :oops:
I might have noticed, but never paid attention I guess.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,033  
Yep, next time 8, next time 7, next time 6...... the law of diminishing fingers.
The shop teacher in my high school only had his thumb and pinky left on his one hand, not even nubs of the other three. I guess that's a pretty good lesson to start with on day one of shop class. And it sure was funny watching him try to pick up papers with that hand!!! sorry, but it was pretty funny, especially for a 13 yr old me...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,034  
The shop teacher in my high school only had his thumb and pinky left on his one hand, not even nubs of the other three. I guess that's a pretty good lesson to start with on day one of shop class. And it sure was funny watching him try to pick up papers with that hand!!! sorry, but it was pretty funny, especially for a 13 yr old me...
Did he ever explain how it happened? Wasn't a MS 362 I hope! 😬

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,035  
I have an ice fishing buddy who has a thumb and index finger on the right hand. The rest is a perfect 45 from the tip of the index through the knuckle at the base of his pinky. He was working in a fab shop for a trade school job. They put him to work running a shear press. This was back in the very early 60's.

Loaderman, maybe that was part of the reason he was a shop teacher. Kind of hard to run a skill saw like that.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,036  
Did he ever explain how it happened? Wasn't a MS 362 I hope! 😬
I didn't take wood shop so I honestly don't know for sure, but rumors did go around school that it was a tablesaw mishap. Hard to cut hands with a chainsaw if you are holding it with both hands, unless the chain wraps around. But yes hands do slip off. Some of you will likely not agree with this, but I prefer to run my saws bare handed, (no gloves). I like the feedback of my grip, how the saw is cutting, how the wood feels as the teeth go through it. I just feel I have better control without the gloves.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,037  
I have an ice fishing buddy who has a thumb and index finger on the right hand. The rest is a perfect 45 from the tip of the index through the knuckle at the base of his pinky. He was working in a fab shop for a trade school job. They put him to work running a shear press. This was back in the very early 60's.

Loaderman, maybe that was part of the reason he was a shop teacher. Kind of hard to run a skill saw like that.

gg
I'm thinking this injury led to his career change.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,038  
I went back and started re-reading this thread a while back. Started in 2014. Im up to page 1009. I have to say I got a lot out of everyone's photo's and ideas. I have a file of interesting mods and ideas related to processing firewood, which was really helpful. Thank you.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,039  
I went back and started re-reading this thread a while back. Started in 2014. Im up to page 1009. I have to say I got a lot out of everyone's photo's and ideas. I have a file of interesting mods and ideas related to processing firewood, which was really helpful. Thank you.
You are a little past half way. I am impressed that you stayed with it since 2014. 🤪

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,040  
I guess Im a slow reader!