Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,741  
From things I have read, and they would most likely stay way cooler.. You disagree?
I have both for my mill, ceramic and bearing, so I've ran them both quite a bit and heat has never been a problem for me, for either one...

I don't think bearings are way better, for me they seem about equal as long as they are properly adjusted. Personally, I think they both work well, but a mill is MUCH quieter with the ceramic guides on it.

Those metal bearing guides transmit a lot of sound.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,742  
I have both for my mill, ceramic and bearing, so I've ran them both quite a bit and heat has never been a problem for me, for either one...

I don't think bearings are way better, for me they seem about equal as long as they are properly adjusted. Personally, I think they both work well, but a mill is MUCH quieter with the ceramic guides on it.

Those metal bearing guides transmit a lot of sound.

SR
Good to know from someone that has both.

And I normally run my mill with earmuffs on, actually my chainsaw helmet, the one I have breathes well, and has the muffs and face shield on it,, works well for me.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,743  
So it looks like that larger rectangular tube has been added, maybe you could remove it which would allow the set up to go down further, or get a secondary piece of that smaller square tubing that you could set lower. I have both tall and short stops depending on what I'm cutting.
I'm not so sure it was added. With the blade guide on that side of the mill fully retracted outward you would not be able to rest the log against the stop without that rectangular piece.
The log would be right in front of a drive wheel.
As I said, if I end up owning this mill I will make some changes and the stops would be one of the first. I would weld a square tube on the opposite side of the bunks than they are
now so they don't interfere with the dogs, and a little more toward the center of the mill allowing a straight backstop. With the height I have the mill at. straight tubing would work I think. No need for long and short.

I have noticed a few things on this machine that were obviously "new technology" at the time that has been revised on newer sawmills. Kind of interesting actually.
Man, I'd sure like to know how old that thing is. Not for value, but just to see what people were working with in a certain era.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,744  
Finished up the 4th and final load of hemlock this morning.
Pic is the last log to land. 3-16 footers, a 14 and a piece of pulp.
70 feet of usable wood in an 80 foot tree. I had to cut it in half to get it out of the thick woods it fell in.

Attachments

• last log 1.jpeg
    last log 1.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 72
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,745  
70 feet of usable wood in an 80 foot tree. I had to cut it in half to get it out of the thick woods it fell in.
So what is the use for hemlock?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,746  

Those would of been some nice 32’s.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,748  
Those would of been some nice 32’s.
That particular tree would have been. It was as clear as a hemlock ever gets.
Pushing 100 Y.O. it has really dense growth rings especially that last 30-40 years. 1/16"+-
It will make some solid lumber.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,749  
Mostly rough sawn construction grade lumber for local use is my guess since it is not a very valuable wood otherwise.

Out here it’s used for pressure treated lumber.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,750  
Out here it’s used for pressure treated lumber.
Yours is a different subspecies of the same tree. I believe they are afflicted with the western "Taller trees than in the east" syndrome. :D Here they are used for landscape ties and timber mats. We also use it for bridge decking. It tends to grow crooked, finding a straight 20' log in my part of the region is a challenge.