Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,861  
I also bought an electric sharpener from Princess Auto (Canadian version of HF) about a year ago just because it was on sale for $30. I just recently tried it for the first time and find it is quick and easy to use especially when I accidentally rock my chain.
... The one concern I have is that after using the electric sharpener I end up with a square cut tooth and that will mean a lot more work hand sharpening next time

Unless you've got some sort of funky sharpener that I can't picture, you should be able to get round-edge sharpening wheels for it, or dress the wheel you have to be round edge. It still won't exacty match what you get hand filing with a round file, but it's closer than square grinding.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,862  
I use an Oregon grinder with a CBN wheel. It’s worth the $100 for a CBN wheel IMO. One thing about the CBN wheel is you need to make sure it runs true. The arbor on my grinder had a little bit if runout. It wouldn’t be a big deal with a regular wheel but the CBN wheel didn’t work good wobbling. I thought about sending the grinder back but I figured it would ba a crapshoot to get something any better. I attempted filing the arbor but it didn’t work. I used some shim stock between the arbor and the wheel and got it to run true.
IMG_0735.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,863  
Try a new spark plug in the old saw, might help the 10-15 pull routine
Already did. And to add insult to injury, they no longer make the original spark plug. Replaced by .......
It worked well today. Started cold on about 5 pulls instead of 15, and ran good all day.
Dropped and bucked 3 trees, got 12 nine foot logs to my stock pile to mill.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,864  
I'd run copious amounts of sea foam through it too.
I might have already done that. Or maybe it was my Echo trimmer.
If I have any left I think I'll do that. Thanks for the reminder.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,865  
That’s how I start my saws. Except my 372 XP won’t start worth a flip if the gas isn’t topped off first. My theory is it pressurizes the gas tank and since liquid doesn’t compress it takes less time to build pressure on a full tank. But that’s just my theory.
I thought of that too with the new saw. Always made sure it was topped up before trying it. Didn't matter.
It's a POS and going back. It was bought on a company credit card which was compromised a couple days later I found out.
Someone bought something on amazon with it.
Card was locked, now it'll take a while to get a new one (lots of ID and signatures for a co. card it seems). They can't refund the saw
except to the same card or something. I dunno.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,866  
Finally ran into the guy who owns the property and the mill I'm using.
As background, I administer a large shooting range for him as part of a volunteer executive committee.
I told him I have taken a shine to the mill and asked if I could buy it off him.
His reply "sure, it's yours. I'll never use it."
I asked how much he might want for it (considering I already put a new engine, clutch, and blades on it
out of my pocket [as rent] I was only prepared to go a couple hundred bucks).
He said "take it. I don't want anything for it".
Now the proud owner of a reasonably priced antique sawmill that needs lots of modernization LOL.

I then told him I was going to pay him $50 a month for the fuel I'm burning in his telehandler he let's
me use.
He refused that too and said just bring in more members (to the shooting range).

Very generous seeing he gave me a 50 HP tractor with FEL and snow blower this summer, then added a finish mower
to the list (which needs lots of work).

The tractor he gave me. FEL and blower in the background.
1634761692320.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,867  
Sounds like a good guy to know.
Fix up the stuff and enjoy... Tractor needs a new tire (or tube)... Haha.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,869  
Sounds like a good guy to know.
Fix up the stuff and enjoy... Tractor needs a new tire (or tube)... Haha.
Nah, just air. It sat for a few years because he had a few other ones.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,870  
I went through all sorts of filer guides and just before I was going to break down and get a grinder I ran across these:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

Easy to pack out into the field. I also pack a marking crayon so I know when I've made a trip around the bar (makes it easier on tired eyes).