Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,331  
This is the time of year I like to pull out my firewood. It was warm enough today to fiddle with a camera. There was a good sized white ash in a boggy area that got blown over barber-chair fashion last summer. The top was back in ankle deep water.

View attachment 723189

My plan was to pull it out as far as I could and then limb it out on dryer ground. I set up a snatch block on the far side of the road. I put out the camera to take a video of the set-up and winching. I thought it would make a good video if I was lucky enough to get it up over the bank and across the road. But if you have to depend on luck working in the woods you don't get very far. The tree got jammed just before it came in to view. Here is the anti-climax video anyhow. It shows the snatch block set-up and cable pull and an idea what I was trying to do.

After the tree got jammed in a stump coming up the bank I limbed the main stem so I could free it and pulled the stem across the road. I cut it where I was going to pull the hitch.

View attachment 723191
Then I pulled the cable back and pulled up some big limbs.

View attachment 723192

I pulled that all together to make a hitch.

View attachment 723193

Next trip I'll get the snag, another big branch and a maple that got taken down when the ash fell.

gg
Good hitch there Gordon.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,332  
This is the time of year I like to pull out my firewood. It was warm enough today to fiddle with a camera. There was a good sized white ash in a boggy area that got blown over barber-chair fashion last summer. The top was back in ankle deep water.

View attachment 723189

My plan was to pull it out as far as I could and then limb it out on dryer ground. I set up a snatch block on the far side of the road. I put out the camera to take a video of the set-up and winching. I thought it would make a good video if I was lucky enough to get it up over the bank and across the road. But if you have to depend on luck working in the woods you don't get very far. The tree got jammed just before it came in to view. Here is the anti-climax video anyhow. It shows the snatch block set-up and cable pull and an idea what I was trying to do.

After the tree got jammed in a stump coming up the bank I limbed the main stem so I could free it and pulled the stem across the road. I cut it where I was going to pull the hitch.

View attachment 723191

View attachment 723192

View attachment 723193

Next trip I'll get the snag, another big branch and a maple that got taken down when the ash fell.

gg
Nice series of pics and descriptions, even though that tree was a no show in the first vid!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,333  

View attachment 723189

View attachment 723191

View attachment 723192

View attachment 723193

gg
Good to see your ground somewhat frozen...not here.
Thanks for sharing video...more need tho. ;)

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,334  
We were starting to get some frost in the ground here. Then we got just enough snow to take it back out again. Today it rained and settled the snow a bit... hopefully with the cold temps they are showing this weekend things will freeze again.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,335  
IMG_2041.JPG

GG that snow looks good. Hard to get motivated to cut wood at 70* today. Kind of defeats warming you twice.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,336  
In my part of the country they are always logging and cutting out the pines, heck from the looks of it one would think our little town is the logging capital of the world.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,337  
In my part of the country they are always logging and cutting out the pines, heck from the looks of it one would think our little town is the logging capital of the world.
Same way here.. seems half the traffic on the roads are log trucks.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,338  
The paper mill nearby shut down for a while, back around 2008, for a while we weren't sure that it would ever start back up again. Talk about a ghost town; the main artery through this neck of the woods was deserted, whereas normally there are log trucks running back and forth all day.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,339  
The paper mill nearby shut down for a while, back around 2008, for a while we weren't sure that it would ever start back up again. Talk about a ghost town; the main artery through this neck of the woods was deserted, whereas normally there are log trucks running back and forth all day.
My brother used to live in Madison and worked at the mill. Same thing there - turned into a ghost town pretty near.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,340  
Thanks for the comments and thumbs up.

gg