Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,061  
Question..Couldn't find a good place to put this but its my sawmill so it almost kinda fits here..
So I've not used my mill in maybe 2-3 months, worked just fine when last I used it... today I went to use it, started right up, but when I took the choke off it just dies! Choke slightly on, it idles just fine, take off the choke it dies.
So far.. drained and refilled the gas tank, fuel runs through the carb fine, took the bowl off and it will run fuel through steady. Took the float and valve out, removed the main jet and blew it out with carb cleaner, blew through the carb as well and reassembled it. replaced the spark plug, it looked fine but was maybe 3 years old.
No change, starts right up and idles with the choke on a little take off the choke and it dies!

Ideas???

Ooops.. Kohler Command Pro CH440 14 hp.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,062  
I had that on a B&S 10 hp on a mower. Turned out the long studs holding the carb onto the intake manifold were lose so that the carb was not sealed and was sucking air around the gasket.

EDIT: you might get more answers if you put it in the repair/parts section ???

If you had the carb off that probly isn't your trouble now that I think about it. ;):)

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,063  
Question..Couldn't find a good place to put this but its my sawmill so it almost kinda fits here..
So I've not used my mill in maybe 2-3 months, worked just fine when last I used it... today I went to use it, started right up, but when I took the choke off it just dies! Choke slightly on, it idles just fine, take off the choke it dies.
So far.. drained and refilled the gas tank, fuel runs through the carb fine, took the bowl off and it will run fuel through steady. Took the float and valve out, removed the main jet and blew it out with carb cleaner, blew through the carb as well and reassembled it. replaced the spark plug, it looked fine but was maybe 3 years old.
No change, starts right up and idles with the choke on a little take off the choke and it dies!

Ideas???

Ooops.. Kohler Command Pro CH440 14 hp.
I spent several weekends trying to solve this problem on my Honda Generator after I let it sit one winter without starting. Rebuilt it, cleaned everything, even tried SeaFoam. I would get it to run OK for a little while then the problem came right back. I gave up and ordered a new carb. Took about 10 minutes to swap out and it runs like new.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,064  
Yeah I actually just ordered a new carb for this thing a little bit ago instead of trying to dick with it

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,065  
It definitely sounds like a lean condition! For the price of a carb you made the right call!👍🏻🇺🇦☮️✌🏻

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,066  
It definitely sounds like a lean condition! For the price of a carb you made the right call!👍🏻🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
I think so, instead of fighting it... hopefully it'l fix it! I'll find out Monday or Tuesday,..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,067  
I had a generator sit a yr. with ethanol gas in it and it would only run with the choke on . I used carb cleaner, sea foam took it off and clean it all twice with no luck. Finally I took it off and used a very fine wire to poke threw every small hole in the carb that did the trick. Runs like a charm now.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,068  
I'm with Billrog, I think there is a chip of something stuck in a fuel passage and its just enough to upset the balance of air to fuel once you let in more air(choke off). I could be spark plug not burning hot enough anymore, but my money is on a carb clog. It's obviously not in the jets or anywhere you cleaned, but somewhere in there. A new carb should do the trick.

I recently fixed a power washer i got a great deal on ($50, looked brand new), turned out to be a small bit of grit in the fuel pick up tube. This one had a "tube" that extended down from the float valve to the bottom of the bowl, in the bottom was the nut the holds on the bowl itself. In the side of the bolt are holes that let in the fuel, there was something stuck in there, no amount of carb cleaner of braklean was getting it out. I used a thin strand from a wire brush and poked it out of there, runs just perfect now.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,069  
I'm with Billrog, I think there is a chip of something stuck in a fuel passage and its just enough to upset the balance of air to fuel once you let in more air(choke off). I could be spark plug not burning hot enough anymore, but my money is on a carb clog. It's obviously not in the jets or anywhere you cleaned, but somewhere in there. A new carb should do the trick.

I recently fixed a power washer i got a great deal on ($50, looked brand new), turned out to be a small bit of grit in the fuel pick up tube. This one had a "tube" that extended down from the float valve to the bottom of the bowl, in the bottom was the nut the holds on the bowl itself. In the side of the bolt are holes that let in the fuel, there was something stuck in there, no amount of carb cleaner of braklean was getting it out. I used a thin strand from a wire brush and poked it out of there, runs just perfect now.
Yes, I agree with the consensus of something stuck in a passage somewhere, when I replace the carb I'll look into the old one more thoroughly when I get some time.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,070  
So I recently posted about a log splitter I bought and I have 2 to 3 years of fire wood split and stacked. I had a pretty good sized oak fall over, maybe 24” at the stump. Is it best to cut this up into log lengths that are about 8 feet long and stack the logs, or cut it up and split it? If I don’t split it the logs will lay in the dirt or I could maybe stack them on blocks.