Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,231  
When I did tree work, I'd refuse to top trees. You'd be amazed how mad people would get because I wouldn't make their trees weaker.
I will show my ignorance here. Topping trees. What are you guys talking about? Never heard of it.

Hoobie

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,232  
I will show my ignorance here. Topping trees. What are you guys talking about? Never heard of it.

Hoobie
I only "prune" fruit and nut trees.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,233  

Hoobie
never done it but have seen it along the road, basically cut the whole crown off the tree and just leave the trunk and a bunch of short stubs to grow back.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,236  

Hoobie
In the picture posted the tree was cut off slightly above the upper cut and the branch below is what grew upward. The upper section started to rot in the center since there was no growth above the branch and was starting to rot down in the main trunk making the tree unstable at some time in the future. This particular tree had been cut off at ground level way back when and grew 5 main trunks. Then later someone topped each of the 5 trunks, one of which you see. I put the thing out of its misery, cut the whole thing down and ground out the stump and planted grass (it was in my front yard). I did get some good firewood from it (cherry).
tree topping.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,237  
I only "prune" fruit and nut trees.
Same here and pruning is done with close cuts and often enough that the diameter of the branch is small. They heal over that way.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,238  
And ugly as siht!
I have a neighbor about 1/4 mile away that just did the exact same to a few trees that are along the front of his property . . . o_O I think/hope that he really is trying to kill them (pear trees).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,239  
Same here and pruning is done with close cuts and often enough that the diameter of the branch is small. They heal over that way.
"sucker branches" . . .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,240  
I have seen topping apple trees as a recommended treatment for a long leader that shoots up to high ?? Never tried it myself but a guy down the road did it to a tree in his pasture a decade or more ago. Tree looks good. Lots of fruit. It is low and wide.

gg